Author Topic: Skinny Osage twisty bow,...(Need opinion on twist & side bend)  (Read 14395 times)

Offline Bevan R.

Re: Question on A Splinter by knot in Osage Stave????
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2011, 10:53:17 pm »
Tim,
have you had your head checked for flake scars latley?  >:D

Bevan
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline 1776J

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2011, 11:33:23 pm »

it might be knappable  :D

HAHAHA!!!!.....

I will certainly remember that!!! ;D ;D

Offline 1776J

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2011, 02:12:05 am »
Ok fellas...

This stave is frustrating me!!! :P

I put the reflex into the tips and the one tip on the limb that needed straightening is twisting up off to one side a good bit. 
Ok,... so I decide,.."We'll just straighten that out!"

So I jig it up, heat it up, (and gentle as she goes), I successfully straighten that tip out...

ONLY TO HAVE ABOUT 1/2" OF THE REFLEX COME OUT OF THAT TIP!!!  :o :o :o

So,....I put her back on the jig,... bend the refex back in and,... whatta ya know?  Yep, it twists to the side, yet again!
So, I've got that resting, back in the jig, straightening itself out after I heated it up yet again!  LOL!!!

Howver, now I notice that there is a slight very thin ridge that has seemingly protruded out from one of the rings on the one side of the stave
where the reflex is about 2" from the very end.  This thin protruding line is about 3" long.

What the hell is it?
Anything to be worried about, or is it something common that I'm describing? I'm puzzled.... ??? ???

« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 02:21:06 am by 1776J »

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2011, 08:05:01 am »
A picture would help, Sounds like the rings are separating,hard to tell without seeing it. :) What kind of form are you using,is it full length or just something to bend the tips/end . On a short
form you have to be careful or it will flex to one side or the other as you bend in the reflex. I have had to straighten some several time,I will tell you this, This is no time to loose patients. :)
That's when you really screw up. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Timo

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2011, 09:46:13 am »
That thin protruding line could be a wind check. They sometimes raise their ugly heads about the time you get done.

Good pics would help.

Offline 1776J

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2011, 10:19:32 am »
Pappy,...Timo....

This is how I am bending the tips.
Clamping down just enough to keep the end stable and secure while attaching a med. sized c-clamp on the other end for a little weight. (not quite a 2 pound c-clamp though!!)

Offline 1776J

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2011, 10:24:44 am »
Pappy,...timo,...guys!!.... here's exactly what I'm seeing here that I'm trying to figure out???!!!!  ??? ??? ???
I had to get the light to hit it just right to be able to get a photo of it.
It seems/looks to be NOT the ring, but rather the early wood in between the rings that's protruding a wee bit... its NOT an actual crack,.. no cracks can be detected.

Mind you, I still have to sand it to width, as I kept it a little thick everywhere.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH,.. in advance for the help!!!!

« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 10:34:43 am by 1776J »

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline 1776J

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2011, 10:36:55 am »
Here check this out.
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/crookedbow.html
Jawge

Nice build along Jawge,.... (as usual of course  ;) )
I didn't see anything like this though anywhere addressed in that build along?  Were you thinking these were, "drying cracks" perhaps???
That's the only thing that stood out for me when I looked at that link you posted???

Offline Timo

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2011, 10:39:36 am »
That is what I call a wind check, or "shake",it happen quite a bit. Basically it is from the tree twisting in the wind, and separating between the early and late wood. One reason I don't use wood that has been pushed over with a dozer, as it is common.

I have let it be and got along ok with it,if it isn't to bad, but often time it will go deeper the harder you work to get rid of it. That could be one reason your limb tip keeps moving oddly.

Not saying this to make you think the bow is doomed, just to make you aware that it can be a problem.

Something to try:   Clamp your stave in a vise and try to twist the outer portion of the limb,watch that area close and see if you can see it open up, if it does then you will have to take some measures to fix it. That being removing wood in hopes of getting past it, or heating the area up and giving it some thin super glue,in hopes of it sucking in.

There is also the option of a sinew wrap.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2011, 10:40:33 am »
I would scrape/sand it off and see what happens,I have seen that before,not sure what caused it but don't remember any special problems it caused. :)
     Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline 1776J

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2011, 10:46:04 am »
Thanks a million fellas!!!!!! ;)

UGH!,... Lord I sure hope its nothing when all is said and done!  The last osage stave was wacked out and I hit a dry area with my draw knife and it dug in so bad it ruined the stave!  :o
(I had already started getting it down quite a ways in shaping it)
...now "this"!!! YIKES!!!!  :o

OSAGE!,...YOU YELLOW DEMON!!!  UGH!.... hahaha  What next!!??

« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 11:01:13 am by 1776J »

Offline 1776J

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2011, 10:48:53 am »
I have let it be and got along ok with it,if it isn't to bad, but often time it will go deeper the harder you work to get rid of it. That could be one reason your limb tip keeps moving oddly.

Something to try:   Clamp your stave in a vise and try to twist the outer portion of the limb,watch that area close and see if you can see it open up, if it does then you will have to take some measures to fix it. That being removing wood in hopes of getting past it, or heating the area up and giving it some thin super glue,in hopes of it sucking in.

There is also the option of a sinew wrap.

I was just wondering if it was the shaping jig/buck I was shaping it on, thinking maybe the surface of the shaping jig was just "off" enough to make it bend to the side??

Oh and that wasn't there the first time I bent the tip.  It only showed up after I had to bend it for the second time....however, I probably mimmicked the wind twist you speak of
by doing what I did in trying to straighten it????   Maybe????
But yeah it wasn't there before....
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 10:58:38 am by 1776J »

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2011, 11:07:49 am »
Yes, I did. DCM said he thought they were wind checks. They are wind checks. I just changed it. I've never seen anything like that in osage. I had a few BL staves that had them. I super glued and clamped them in this stave. Shoots well. I'd go easy with the reflexing  and forcing of that stave. On the bow in the buildalong, that end was already reflexed so I just matched the other end.  I almost gave up on this stave but I took a shot with the good old superglue. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline 1776J

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2011, 11:24:50 am »
Yes, I did. DCM said he thought they were wind checks. They are wind checks. I just changed it. I've never seen anything like that in osage. I had a few BL staves that had them. I super glued and clamped them in this stave. Shoots well. I'd go easy with the reflexing  and forcing of that stave. On the bow in the buildalong, that end was already reflexed so I just matched the other end.  I almost gave up on this stave but I took a shot with the good old superglue. Jawge

Yeah it's weird because what you're seeing in the photos,..well, there aren't any actual "cracks" to be seen there.  Its just like a really thin "rib" that juts out from the side for a bit.
There's actually nothing at all to superglue as far as a visual "crack" of any kind.

This was an "ebay" stave I bought.... purchased from "parkerdaze61".  Seems to have great feedback and real nice guy as well.  Not sure if it's any of the fellows on here?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 11:29:06 am by 1776J »