Author Topic: Primitive Archer Bow Trade  (Read 69960 times)

Offline Bevan R.

Re: Primitive Archer Bow Trade
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2011, 06:39:30 pm »
I'm really loving all these trades, it really pushes me to improve.  I'd be very interested in joining in.  I don't have any seasoned staves at the moment, so if I'm unable to trade for one I'd probably have to build a RO board bow if that's ok with everybody.

Did you see Josh's latest Bow?  It was a RO board and a lovely bow.  As long as like Pat said, you put your heart into making the best bow you can with the materials you have your recipient will be pleased.

I think Pat says it all right there!!

Bevan
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2011, 06:45:35 pm »
Ya'll please don't get me wrong, I'm not looking down on them at all.  Matter of fact, I've grown quite fond of them.  I know there's not near the amount of work involved in one compared to a snakey osage stave, though.  No matter what I built it would be to the best of my ability.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2011, 06:54:13 pm »
Anything that is legit on PA is legit in the trade. It is a good idea for all to give their specific info but we will start another thread for that. This thread is to see who's in and to put our heads together to figure out what's good and what's not. Memorial day should be enough time for me too. If we need to go longer we can but not less.
  The way we did it on TradGang was everyone put down their draw length and draw weight, left or right handed, shelf or off the hand, glass or wood(not an option here but we could do self or backed) or we could do it just bow for bow, whatever I make for whatever you make.   These are all just suggestions so everyone should speak up if you have something to add or subtract.
  One person needs to collect all the names, number each as they come in and numbers will be drawn from a hat and assigned to the person at the top of the list as the names came in and on down.
  Another thing we ran into last year was folks running into difficulties with life or whatever and not being able to finish a bow. One guy I know broke 3 in a row before getting one to send out. He was late getting it done but he came through none the less. One other guy recieved a bow but vanished off the face of the earth without building and sending out his bow. Things like this happen. It turned out that another guy,
 that was not even in the trade offered to build a bow for the guy that lost out.  I think this bow was recently posted here on PA. If you think for some reason that you are not going to be able to conplete your bow, please contact whomever is running the trade and other arrangements can take place. At least you can send the bow you recieved to whomever you were supposed to send the trade bow to.
  One other thing, lets keep it a secret as to whom you drew. We can and should post pics as we go along, describing our bows and any interesting things that come up but please keep it quiet as to who we are building for and keep the tell tale specifics out of it until the end. When you are ready to send your bow out to the reciepient you can send him(or her) an e-mail  or PM letting them know to be on the lookout for a package. I'd hate to see someones bow laying unseen in a bush because of whatever reason.
  It is a lot better to get all of this out in the open before we get started. There will probably still be some other issues but we will try to take care of them as they arise.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline half eye

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2011, 07:00:00 pm »
Just for my 2 cents worth, this is a chance to get more out of the site by makin some new friends.......I be happy as a pig in a puddle to get ANY bow from ANY member.....period.

right handed, 27", off the hand, 45-55 # by the way
rich

JustinNC

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2011, 07:02:16 pm »
Memorial Day is fine. Gives me a chance to break one or two before then.  ;)

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2011, 07:03:21 pm »
I really like the idea of keep who you are build for secret. Like Calendargirl did the Christmas Gift Exchange. It made if fun to know who you were doing something for but not who was doing something for you.

If it is just a matter of keeping track of names coming in and then drawing to match, I would be willing to take that on.

Bevan

Offline Matt S.

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2011, 07:24:59 pm »
This is a great idea and I'd be interested. Mine would be a board bow, but I'll put my best effort into it!

I have a really stupid question though, I've never shipped a bow before, anything in particular to look out for?

28" draw (but I can short or long draw, so 25=32" if it makes it fit the bow's design better)
right handed (arrow rest optional, no preference one way or another)
30-60# (surprise me!)

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2011, 07:57:56 pm »
Looks like I won't be the only "new kid" jumping in so that makes me feel a bit more comfortable...I'd be happy to have my name on the list also please.

27"-28" draw, 45-50#

Regards,

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2011, 08:02:01 pm »
I agree with Rich. It's about makin some new friends as much as it is gettin a new bow. Not a stupid question Matt, I was getting ready to ask the same one. What's the best way to ship a bow? Anyway, I'm in ;D ;D ;D!

27-28" draw, I shoot left and right...so no shelf or maybe two.
40-70#...I'd be happy with anything really!

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2011, 08:15:11 pm »
Great Idea!!  I'm in.   ;D

Right handed, 26"-28", off the hand, 50#
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2011, 08:27:37 pm »
Would this be open to someone from out of country?  I'm not sure what it would cost or if there's any restrictions in shipping a bow from Canada to the U.S., or vice-versa.

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2011, 08:35:11 pm »
Would this be open to someone from out of country?  I'm not sure what it would cost or if there's any restrictions in shipping a bow from Canada to the U.S., or vice-versa.

Only 'restriction' I would think of is the customs declaration and the shipping cost. As far as being open to 'out of the country' I think the Christmas Exchange asked if there was a hardship for paying for shipping into or out of the US.

Please correct me if I am wrong about this.

Bevan

Offline NTD

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2011, 08:48:55 pm »

Out of the U.S. is fine unless your Canadian >:D :P ;D
Nate Danforth

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2011, 08:52:45 pm »
Hey NTD, I have to say that any country that comes up with a show line 'Naked News' has to be a winner!! >:D ;D

Bevan

Offline sailordad

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2011, 08:56:17 pm »
i never understood customs for sending to or from/going to or from canada
isnt that just our 51st state after all  ;D
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd