Author Topic: antler presser flaking  (Read 1820 times)

Offline bubby

antler presser flaking
« on: January 24, 2011, 02:00:20 am »
I've been useing a copper flaker as well as a horse shoe nail and was wanting to know if useing antler, how sharp do ya get it, I have had 0 luck with antler so far, thank's, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
Re: antler presser flaking
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 06:30:59 am »
its not really about being sharp. the biggest difference is in the platform prep. most times i do very little abrading and set the platform up with light flaking. most of my antler flakers are almost blunt. this is done on purpose though, so that i can use the enamel of the tine rather than the pith. i always keep a couple of untouched tines for cleanup work too.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 11:56:32 am »
Antler works best on the glassier stone or on cooked stone.  If you have raw stone that is really tough, it will eat the antler for lunch. ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 12:17:51 pm »
i agree with pat. the trick is to use percussion  or indirect percussion for the work and do the finish the work with antler tines. most of the work i do now rarely gets touched by antler tines. i found ways around it.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline rwaterman00

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 10:33:39 pm »
i am all abo now. i use all antler tine flaking and actuall after getting used to it i like it more. i have different sizes for different thickness stone.
i have large tines i use like an ishi stick. it has 2 branches one is 1/4 inch diameter at tip. the other is a little over an 1/8 inch. ( i sharpen them alot to keep that diameter.
my one that fits in my hand i sharpen to resemble a pencil tip. for finish edge work.
prep of platform is all important as explained by jamie.
with antler i sometimes push so hard i think i am gonna get an aneurysm. usually resulting in a beautiful flake scar. :)

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 10:49:22 pm »
 I work mostly obsidian and dacite and antler works well as boppers and flakers.Gotta keep a file handy for keeping the tips pointed,but it works good for flakers.  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington