Author Topic: Bone Points?  (Read 2973 times)

Offline Steve Milbocker

Bone Points?
« on: March 05, 2011, 12:06:30 pm »
Has anybody used bone points before? I have been wondering how they stack up against stone. They seem like they would be way easier to build consistent especially for someone like me with almost 0 knapping skills. The Tractor Supply store has some very large bones for less than 3 bucks. I recently bought one to fashion some tip overlays for a bow I'm building. It sure is a nice material to work with, the nocks came out great.
I'm no where near as smart as my phone!

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: Bone Points?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 02:31:10 pm »
Steve
I've only used them on small game.  If you want to try them then avoid domestic animal bones, they are much softer than Deer.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline johnston

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 04:55:24 pm »
Steve, I made a few bone points for small game and they are holding up pretty good. Can't say how accurate they can be cause my arrows ain't the best platform to test with. My best luck was to glue shaped pieces together to form the head and then file to final shape. Know it is not primitive but I used Gorilla glue.

Lane

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 05:25:28 pm »
A couple of years ago a few guys on TradGang harvested deer with bone points they had made. One might have been Doug Campbell.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 07:46:53 pm »
Bone points ARE much easier to make than stone points.  You can learn to make a bone point in about an hour but it takes at least a year to get really good at flintknapping.

They are lighter than stone and they are not as sharp... but they are a little more durable.  I made a lot of bone points before I started flintknapping but I never got a chance to hunt with bone.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Steve Milbocker

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 09:14:38 am »
Thank you all.
I'm no where near as smart as my phone!

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 06:03:23 pm »
I seem to remember reading in a magazine about a guy that was laminating bone and wood like Osage and making points.  ???

Bevan R
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.