Author Topic: Well that's a first! AND NOW A SECOND!  (Read 6313 times)

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
Re: Well that's a first!
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2011, 02:28:40 am »
My neighbors have yet to figure out what that "thwack, thwack, thwack" noise is coming from my back yard.  But one neighbor is never home, and the couple on the other side are hippy stoners, so I doubt they would care, even if they knew. 

But I'm glad the new fence I built last spring is over 6'6".  A high fence makes for happy neighbors :) It's also good at catching stray arrows!

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2011, 03:17:32 pm »
Hey Rick yes she was a SHE cop...middle aged.   Not a smokin gun.

Cops in my town think they are above all...there's only like 5-6 in Newburg.  I've been harassed by them before so I don't take no more sh!t from them.  Freedom of speech my friend. lol

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2011, 10:28:31 pm »
Hey Rick yes she was a SHE cop...middle aged.   Not a smokin gun.

Cops in my town think they are above all...there's only like 5-6 in Newburg.  I've been harassed by them before so I don't take no more sh!t from them.  Freedom of speech my friend. lol

There you go!  If she had been a hottie like the ones we have here maybe it would at least been tolerable!   They do forget who they work for at times...............
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline aznboi3644

this is getting rediculous
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2011, 02:00:47 pm »
I was out front shooting from 10 yards again.  Neighbor called the cops on me.  Cops came after I went inside cuz I was only shootin for 5 minutes.

Cops were A holes as usual...harassing me again for no damn reason.  I asked the cop if it was illegal to shoot a bow and arrow and he couldn't tell me that it was.  But he made up some crap about next time he gets called I'm going to JAIL for CRIMINAL ENDANGERMENT or some bull he made up.

It was hilarious to see the look on his face though after I asked him if it was illegal and if there was anything he could do...which he couldn't.  The cop looked pretty furious that he couldn't do squat to me.  Called my info on the radio and it came back clear.  Duh.

He even had the nerve to ask me to step inside my apartment to talk which I promptly told him hell no we can talk right here.  Cop asked me why not and if I was hiding anything inside.  I laughed in his face haha.  Told him its my crib and I don't want him in there.  The look on his face after that was even more PRICELESS.

I don't know how a call about someone with bow and blunt arrows turns into the cops trying to assume I'm a drug dealer with drugs in my house that they can't get do but want to.

Sigh....I'm seriously getting tired of all this bullsh!t.

end rant guys...just another run in with some swine.

Offline NTD

Re: Well that's a first! AND NOW A SECOND!
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2011, 02:19:17 pm »
"I don't know how a call about someone with bow and blunt arrows turns into the cops trying to assume I'm a drug dealer with drugs in my house that they can't get do but want to."

A cop is almost always fishing for more.  Good for you for not playing the game.

As far as calling him swine, well...I certainly get frustrated at the increasing police state but officers deserve a certain default level of respect.  That officer had no choice but to respond to your home.  He gets the call from dispatch and he is legally obligated to come to your house and find out what is going on.

Any time you start thinking cops are pigs, watch this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEvZBKwvE0k
Nate Danforth

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2011, 02:30:29 pm »
...and now you know the rest of the story!   8)

My Dad was a police court judge when I was growing up. He always told me to be respectful to the officer and if I had a bitch to take it to the judge! Respect needed there too!  ;)
  In my eyes police officers and school teachers are over worked and under paid. Keep the good ones, pay them well and get rid of the bad ones.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline NTD

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2011, 02:46:15 pm »
Once you are cited Pat, You are right, the judge is where to take your complaint.  Arguing with the officer is a moot point once you've been served.  But there can be some reasoning done with an officer.  They have discretion and most are willing to utilize it.  In this case there is no citing being done, and therefore no judge to bitch too.

In this case I have mixed feelings.  Unless there is actually law/ordinance on the books the officers need to lay off, and maybe explain that to the neighbor.  But my background also makes me look at this from the eyes of the officer.  My wife is a 911 operator and I was an officer.  I can see it now, the dispatcher gets a call that some kid is playing with a weapon and shooting up the neighborhood, exageratted of course but that's what they do.  The officer shows up and the kid is a little feisty right off the bat, being the officer you don't know what's going on except what you've been told, so when you show up and the person is defensive and maybe a bit hostile it's likely the officer would be a bit...forward. 

Aznboi, it's time for you to be educated.  Find out what the laws are.  Unfortunately laws like reckless endangerment are written pretty loosely and can be articulated to be darn near anything.  But find out specific to the use of bows and arrows.  If there is nothing on the books then when they show up again respectfully explain to the officer that you are doing nothing illegal and unless he is going to cite you, you are going to continue engaging in a legal activity.  Then if he cites you, you can bitch to the judge ;D  Also I would start assesing your shooting lane and back stops etc so if a case of endangerment is attempted you have evidence to the contrary.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 03:45:51 pm by NTD »
Nate Danforth

Offline deerhunter97370

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2011, 02:50:41 pm »
I feel sorry for you all. In my town I shoot my bow at some times 30yards with broad heads and the cops just wave as they drive by. One time a cpo was looking for a guy on our street and called me over while I had an arrow on the string. And we have a no weapons shooting ordinance in our town.
Always be ready to: Preach, Pray, or Die. John Wesley

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2011, 03:29:23 pm »
Nate, I was a bit vague. Your point is well taken.   ;)
 anzboi, you might try educating your neighbor also. Let them know you mean no harm but would like to be able to shoot your bow safely at home. And like Nate said be sure of the laws and your shooting set up.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2011, 05:34:44 pm »
thanks guys...I'll look into the laws and ordinances furthermore.

One point I wanna make is that usually I'll give the police officer respect but if he comes at me with none he's getting none in return.  Just what I've learned...want some respect than give it first.

As with the neighbor....I'll give it a shot to talk to them.  I'm not sure how much it will do.

Around my neighborhood the kids actually like me...call me the "bow guy".  Some kids and younger teens on the street actually have asked me to make them a bow.  Which I'm happy about because no one around here likes bent sticks...but if I can get some young ones into archery I'll be happy.  Just passing it on.

HatchA

« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2011, 06:31:19 pm »
One point I wanna make is that usually I'll give the police officer respect but if he comes at me with none he's getting none in return.  Just what I've learned...want some respect than give it first.

I'm in full agreement with that!

As with the neighbor....I'll give it a shot to talk to them.  I'm not sure how much it will do.

Around my neighborhood the kids actually like me...call me the "bow guy".  Some kids and younger teens on the street actually have asked me to make them a bow.  Which I'm happy about because no one around here likes bent sticks...but if I can get some young ones into archery I'll be happy.  Just passing it on.

Not sure what talking with the neighbour might lead to.  Go in with an open mind I s'pose and see how the land lies - they've already called the cops so you kinda know what to expect :S

As far as making bows for the kids in the area...  As much as I admire you and the sentiment involved; if the "grown-ups" don't like bows, they might not take too kindly to having someone handing them about without prior consultation...  if you get what I mean?

Fingers crossed for the best outcome, man.

Offline NTD

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2011, 06:38:14 pm »
I know Pat mentioned talking to the neighbor what I meant is that the officer, if he knows there is no ordinance, should inform the neighbor of that so he can stop calling 911.
Nate Danforth

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2011, 08:04:29 pm »
I'm glad I live where I do. Right smack in the middle of town. My neighbors know I hunt and shoot bows. I live on a dead end street and when I want to practice at 40yds, I get in my neighbors driveway across the street and shoot up my driveway into the carport. I have good neighbors ;D. The last time Stickbender came over, I liked to crapped when he pulled out his Norinco 45 cal., And starting screwing on a suppresor. Then he said, "watch this", at 8 AM on a Sunday morning.
 I have the police visit just to look at the bows, arrowheads , and just think it is all cool. The people that live around me are great, and we look out for each other and their place when someone is gone. I've had to go in more than one backyard and get an arrow that embarassedly missed the backstop.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2011, 02:39:51 pm »
All my neighbors are old farmers. They figure you do what you want on your own property and you look out for each other. How America was 40-50 years ago when there were alot fewer lawyers.  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2011, 02:45:27 pm »
I can't wait until I move outta here.  Seems like I can't do anything without worrying about the cops being called.

When I lived at my parents place I could do whatever I wanted and the neighbors were all cool.  They have 7 acres in the middle of the city.  10 neighbors down the right side of our plot at the edge of the subdivision.

I'll have parties up until 4AM with music so loud my dad calls and tells me to turn it down from his bed room.  We'll throw the mortor fireworks in the firepit and all duck for cover...neighbors have never called the cops.  We have some leverage though.

We had our land surveyed and turns out we own 40% of 7 neighbors back yards.  One has a trellis on our property actually lol.