Author Topic: Flute build along  (Read 29932 times)

Offline Michael C.

Flute build along
« on: March 01, 2011, 08:10:16 pm »
I posted a flute I made recently for a trade and there was some interest in a build along and I thought I would go ahead and start one. Just a disclaimer though the posts may be a bit sporadic, because that's kind of the way I work :) Hopefully when I finish with the builds I will have a Gm flute and a branch flute that I have no idea what key it's going to be, since I've never done one. I don't use any specific formulas just estimates that I have sort of learned to start with depending on the key I am trying to make. The flutes don't always work out, kind of like my bows. I am not determined enough/smart enough to work out a specific formula and at the risk of sounding to spiritual the wood kind of makes me do what it wants me to.

These first few photos are just to show some basic measurements I usually start off with on making my flutes. You may not do it this way and if you've found something that works for you feel free to speak up, cause it may work for someone else too, but this is how I do it.

The most important part in this mock up is the place where the air is going to go from the spot you blow into across air hole. I usually start off by making it a bit longer than 7/16ths of an inch because it's easier to take some off then put it on.

Just a close up of my painted ruler and the area I'm talking about.

The branch I'm going to try and make into something playable

another shot of the branch after I um... debarked it and the two pieces I cut out of the board I'm using to make the typical flute you see most everywhere

The board is about an 1 1/4" wide for both halves, 1/2 thick and around 24" long.
If you look at the diagram it shows where the air chamber around 5" (the part you blow in) and the flue 7/16" (where the air flows over and hits the sounding edge) this is the area I will be concentrating on the most in these first few steps after I get the bore carved out.

Since I am going to make a G flute for the board I am going to take it to about 3/4" bore. I had a guy, who said he learned how to make them from an Indian in Colorado who lived in a tipi, tell me since I don't carve all of mine out that they aren't genuine Native American flutes. I told him I am NA and I've never met any NA who still lives in a tipi and that if NA would have had access to an electric router they would have used it, because they were primitive not stupid. Anyway if it makes you it feel more "genuine" for you then feel free to carve it out, if your like me then you will route out most of it for the rough shape and maybe do a bit of carving on the bore for the board. The branch flute I will be carving out for sure just because it is a weird shape and I don't want to screw it up with power tools.

"Friendship makes prosperity more shining and lessens adversity by dividing and sharing it."

Cicero

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: Flute build along
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 08:16:59 pm »
VERY Cool.  I'll be watching this one!
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 01:19:44 am »
This should be interesting.  Sporadic is fine :)

Offline medic336

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 01:47:37 am »
awesome very interesting

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 04:52:30 am »
Cool build along     Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 09:49:26 am »
This should be fun to watch,Thanks. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Catahoula

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 10:26:13 pm »
Hi Michael,

I would be glad to talk with about branch flutes, et al. In case you would be interested...branch flutes are my thing...can't claim to be NA other than through DNA... Like that branch you are working with.

Rand
Catahoulaflutes.com
“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”― Mae West

Offline n2huntn

• jeff_smith13@hotmail.com ROLL TIDE !
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 11:46:01 pm »
I'm hooked.
Genesis 27: 3

Offline stickbender

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 03:50:16 am »

Michael, you stated you usually start off by making it a bit "longer" than 7/16, because it is easier to "take off" than to put on.....?  Did you mean make it "shorter"  than 7/16 ?

Wayne

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2011, 02:19:36 pm »
Thanks for starting this ill be tuned in ;D

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Michael C.

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2011, 02:34:47 pm »
Hey Wayne I made a typo on that it should have been 7/8ths here is an illustration I made, hopefully it clears it up a bit. Don't worry about the 7/32nds area just yet because right now we are just concentrating on the bore area and not the true sound edge/hole or the actual floating area for the air travel. Just make sure to leave enough room for you to have 7/8ths of solid wood for you to make your air channel.

I labeled the area I'm talking about with the 7/8ths and the sound edge which will either make or break the flute is the delicate bit that I will go into detail on later. I have a couple of different builds on these going on, one for you :), so I will have plenty of photos to put up once I clean them up and re-size them. I'm glad you asked and please if anyone has any questions feel free to bring it up here and I'll try and expand or clarify what I'm trying to say.
"Friendship makes prosperity more shining and lessens adversity by dividing and sharing it."

Cicero

Offline Michael C.

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2011, 05:21:42 pm »
Here is the actual bored out piece using a 3/4" router bit, take your time routing it out, you don't need to get it all at once. It's best to take off a little, check it for the right radius and take a little more off if you nee to, because if you take off to much you're going to get a different key than you planned for and the circle on the foot will be more of an oval.

And the two halves that are going to go together to make the whole.

You can see that my routing skills have something left to be desired sometimes :) As long as you have at least 1/8" thickness on the walls to work with your ok, if you go to much thinner than that the flute will play but it will break easily and the tone won't be as full as it would be with at least that much wood to resonate. I usually miss the center, which is one reason I leave room for error in the width of my halves, I always end up having to clean it up so if you can avoid this more power to you it will save you time.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 05:26:22 pm by Michael C. »

Cicero

Offline stickbender

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2011, 07:21:49 pm »

Thanks that really helps. ;)

Wayne

Offline Michael C.

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2011, 07:31:29 pm »
Here is the branch after I sawed it in half, I'm going to be taking all of that pretty heartwood out. From what I have been told the idea is that you are supposed to fill where the heartwood was with your own heart while you are playing. I guess that may sound kooky to some people, but honestly if you've ever played one long enough you end up forgetting your even playing after a while and the song sort of carries you instead of you carrying it.

Cicero

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2011, 08:17:05 pm »
This is great!  I have 3 real nice sized Juniper (ERC) branches pretty close to the correct diameter...ends are sealed but should I take the bark off while they are kinda green or cure them as they are?

Thanks!

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~