Author Topic: Importance of heavy arrows  (Read 15093 times)

DCM4

Re: Importance of heavy arrows
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2011, 12:57:59 pm »
Its an interesting topic.  On the one hand, from the physics pov, it seems pointless to me to argue with Sir Isaac Newton and 300 years of appllied physics.  On the other, given most of our setups (eg. 50# bows w/ 20" power stroke on up), 10 gpp (500 grain arrows) are more than sufficient for whitetails.  Marginal hits are gonna be a problem regardless, and even momentum only mitigates by a small measure.  There's just too much going on, animal could move, etc. lots of stuff can happen such there are no guarantees.  You gotta bite the bullet, make your best effort, and best case scenario really have your tracking skills up to snuff to help avoid lost game.

Imho folks would do better trading a little arrow mass (within reason, say down to no less than 9 gpp on selfbows, 7 w/ glass) for better trajectory.  When you get out to and past 25 yards (yes, I know nobody shoots past 17 yards), it's a lot harder for me to shoot the mark.  I can shoot the line ok, but at random ranges a few inches of drop can make a big difference.  Obviously for marginal setups, kids or ladys making 40# and 20" power stroke or less, you gotta get what gains in efficiency you can with heavier arrows.  And it's obvious to everybody, or should be, limit the range as well.  This helps with compensate for the more arcing trajectory. 

Yes, I know folks who shoot "instintively" don't need to know about trajectory.  They don't have to aim or estimate range.  I appretiate the argument.  I practice it to some degree as well.  For example I see the arrow, but I don't make an effort to place it at a particular point of aim, make a "sight picture" like "gap" shooting, or as with a rifle.  But somewhere between your ears you DO see the arrow (admittedly peripherally regardless of what you "focus on"), you DO compensate for range, you DO aim.  That your conscious mind doesn't appreitate, register, recognize, recall the particulars isn't all that interesting to argue, to me.  Perception is a stange thing, frequently not as accurate as we assume, and unfortunately in most cases reality despite accuracy.

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2011, 01:18:30 pm »
I am certain that no matter the weight, speed, diameter, or trajectory of the arrow.. shot placement far outweighs any other factor. four inches of penetration in the heart lung area will kill most creatures. but in the shoulder, ham etc it wont. just my opinion on the subject. shoot what u feel confident with, shoot it often and shoot it well, and your results will be better than if you just buy a faster bow. 
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Southeast Mo. Redneck!!
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2011, 12:30:37 pm »
Yes, I would agree that somewhere around the 9 gpp would be my personal cut off point for the lightest arrow I would hunt with.
The best way to up the anty in your favor would be to shoot a heavier bow, and yet a heavier arrow but still within 9-10 gpp of arrow weight to bow weight ratio. That seems to be the magic numbers.

Of course like guys have already said, no bow or arrow no matter how fast or flat shooting will compensate for a piss poor shot on an animal. A gut shot is still a gut shot no matter how fast it gets there or blows through the other side.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline Kegan

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2011, 08:42:17 pm »
My arrows are 600 gr. carbons. I use a 250 gr. head to bring the spine down and the weight up. I use these from any bow I have that will shoot them bareshafted, which is around 60-70# (which luckily is my comfortable range with a bow). I don't care so much about gpp as the actual arrow itself and its flight. My hybrids really send them sizzling, especially the current 70# I'm using, and my selfbows really put them to the spot I'm looking too. Switch a razor sharp STOS broadhead in for the field point and I'm confident that if given a shot within my comfortable range I can make meat. I've tested this very arrow set up on a freshly killed button buck through the shoulder and even a 45# at 25" put it through the boiler room and poked out the other side.

The arrow really is what kills, so as long as the bow does its job of sending it on its way as it should, there's no reason to worry about it [the bow]. So long as the arrow weighs enough to get the job done, then the gpp rule can be put on the back burner... unless your bow blows up >:D