Author Topic: Static Recurve (Or my first truly succesful stave bow)  (Read 14289 times)

Offline 1776J

Re: Static Recurve (Or my first truly succesful stave bow)
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2011, 12:43:46 am »
This is really a well crafted sharp looking piece of Elm you have here!  Great job on it...it really has a very appealing look, strung and unstrung.  Great work! ;)

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2011, 05:01:49 am »
Well done Nate!
Frank from Germany...

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2011, 08:12:29 am »
that bow looks fast and well made, well done, I can see why you're happy with this one.

I like the look of the dry climate too, aahhhh... I long for dryness,   here is sooo damp...
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline NTD

« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2011, 01:13:49 pm »
Thanks 1776J, Frank and Dragonman.
Nate Danforth

Offline barebo

« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2011, 07:03:19 pm »
That's an excellent static self  recurve in every respect. I have to ask though....what do you find "tacky" about a sculpted grip on a selfbow?? I like a grip that conforms to my hand, and on all of my selfies will fashion the grip as such. Lots more work, but never had anyone say that the grip looked out of place on a flatbow or longbow. A lot of hybrid longbow bowyers have adopted a recurve style grip to aid in repeatable hand placement also. Just wondering why you're opposed to it?? Your grip is great, and compliments the bow nicely. If you styled a grip though, do you think it would look out of place ??

Offline NTD

« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2011, 07:07:25 pm »
Barebo,

That's a fair question and I don't have a good answer.  I've come to like a nice contoured grip on the laminates but they just seem "wrong" on selfbows.  I can't really quantify it and to each their own for sure.  As far as repeatable hand placement...well you don't need a highly contoured grip to get repeatable hand placement.  I meant no offense by my comment it's just my taste.  But who knows, I didn't like the fancy R/D bows when i first started but they've sure grown on me ;D

My exact qoute "tried to keep it subtle as I think they can look tacky on stave bows if overdone

It's all about degrees for me.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 07:10:38 pm by NTD »
Nate Danforth

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2011, 08:16:49 pm »
You did real good with that one, Nate. I've always liked that style bow.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline gmc

« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2011, 09:03:45 pm »
Now that is one dang nice bow right there.

Outstanding.
Central Kentucky

Offline NTD

« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2011, 09:09:21 pm »
Thanks Eddie and gmc!  They are work but yeah I like this style, I will definitely be playing with it more. 

I did shave off about 1/8" off each side on the last 10" of each limb.  Figured it could use a bit of narrowing
Nate Danforth

Offline barebo

« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2011, 06:45:33 pm »
Nate - I took no offense about the grip comment at all, but was curious as to why the pistol or 60's style grip was such a turn off for you. I guess that my preference for that grip makes me biased, and wanted to hear the other side of it??!! I had a '57 Kodiak with the classic 50's style grip, and a beautiful Sentman longbow with the same, and although both great shooters, I had torque problems.
Not to say it's the bow - it's not. Your bow looks classic, and I'd be proud to have it on my rack!!! I'm just getting ready to try my first recurve out of HHB. If it's 50%  as nice as yours, I'll consider it a success.