Author Topic: Backing  (Read 1889 times)

Offline DiGi

Backing
« on: March 06, 2011, 06:12:40 pm »
Do I spray paint the linen before or after I put it on the bow?

Offline HickoryBill

Re: Backing
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 06:17:37 pm »
I don't know that I would spray paint it at all??? I would either dye or stain it after it's glued on. I use Ryte leather dye.
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

Offline seabass

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 06:26:27 pm »
i am with Bill.you can buy linen in different colors or dye your own.it seems that it would get really stiff if you painted it.the paint might not be compatible with your final finish.jmo,steve
Middletown,Ohio

Offline NTProf

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 07:45:35 pm »
I have spray painted a number of linen backed bows after the linen is glued on. Turned out really nice. I usually just painted it a solid color, but some paint rather ornate designs. So yes, you can paint it after it has been glued on (and dried of course).

Offline Frode

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 09:49:36 pm »
Definitely after, I would say.  I like to wet the linen, wring it out, spread the glue on the back of the bow, and smooth on the linen, starting at the center and working out to the tips.  Make sure all the wrinkles are smoothed out, and don't worry if it stretches a bit, it wont affect the bow one bit.  After that has pretty much dried (enough so you can't accidentally pull it off), I spread on a second generous coat, making sure it gets down in all the crevices of the weave of the cloth.  You're encapsulating the cloth, in addition to bonding it to the wood.  Let that dry completely, and at that point you'll have a "canvas" with enough tooth to take paint nicely.  If you choose to go natural, you can add a third or fourth coat of glue (I use Titebond III), and that, in combination with a natural colored linen, will give you a warm honey/caramel look that displays the weave nicely, and looks good with the wood (works really well with red and white oak, ash, and elm).
My 2 p  ;)
Frode
If it doesn't rap the lintel, it might not be a longbow.

Offline DiGi

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 09:36:39 pm »
Thanks everybody. I looked at my fabric store and they only had plain linen. Frode, that was very detailed, thank you, its exactly what I needed. Im going to spray paint my bow after its dried. Thanks again everyone!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 01:00:20 am »
Take a trip back to 1969 and tie dye the linen backing!  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC