Author Topic: longest shots(pics added)  (Read 7864 times)

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
longest shots(pics added)
« on: March 14, 2011, 07:24:50 pm »
i am just curious, what is the farthest everyone has shot, i just set my own personal record at around 215 yards ;D
noel
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 01:58:47 am by fishfinder401 »
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline sailordad

Re: longest shots
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 07:54:55 pm »
are you talking just distance
or accuaracy at distance
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 08:06:26 pm »
Farthest I have shot was 500yards accurately with a 7mm >:D
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 09:32:51 pm »
are you talking just distance
or accuaracy at distance
either, and elk tracker, im guessing thats with a gun ? ::)

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 09:37:37 pm »
you never said longest shot with a bow ;D I never measured usually 20 yards but I have tried at 40 yards :-[ didnt turn out good lol
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 09:46:09 pm »
you never said longest shot with a bow ;D I never measured usually 20 yards but I have tried at 40 yards :-[ didnt turn out good lol
true i never did say bow, but that is impressive for a gun ;D
have you ever tried aiming at 45degrees, pulling to full draw and letting go, it fun until you have to go find it >:D
noel

Offline sweeney3

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 09:51:27 pm »
'Bout 18 miles, but that was with a Howitzer.   ;D

Really though, I dunno.  I have held at 45ish and let her fly a few times, and it's really cool to watch.  I have never measured it though.  Nothing I shoot would produce very impressive flight shooting numbers, but it does hit pretty well with a heavy arrow at 20 some yards or less.

Offline Matt S.

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 10:18:20 pm »
fishfinder, I'm with you, I love to go out to an open field and just send the arrows flying!

Unfortunately, I neither have a very accurate method of measuring (I pace things off) nor do I have very good arrows. The farthest I've shot so far has been somewhere between 160-170 yards with a 55# red oak board bow and my 5/16" arrows fletched with Hobby Lobby duck feathers :-[ ;D

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 10:33:12 pm »
fishfinder, I'm with you, I love to go out to an open field and just send the arrows flying!

Unfortunately, I neither have a very accurate method of measuring (I pace things off) nor do I have very good arrows. The farthest I've shot so far has been somewhere between 160-170 yards with a 55# red oak board bow and my 5/16" arrows fletched with Hobby Lobby duck feathers :-[ ;D
the way i measure is using Google eat, and land marks as references, you can get pretty accurate, and 170 is very respectable, especially with a 55. i just today got over 200yards and it was with a bow around 150@27, talk about needing an arm guard OUCH, not again, oh look another blood blister
noel ;D

Offline Little John

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 10:49:21 pm »
I always flight test my bows to measure performance and have gotten 212 stepped off yards with 62# hunting bows with 600 grain arrows two different times with bows  of the same design. I think I  can get a bit more.   Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 11:02:19 pm »
i would be interested in seeing the bow and maybe a build along. i have built a few flight bows and may again . would be nice to get some pointers ,i have never broken 200yrds

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2011, 11:18:44 pm »
I would like to see the bow as well  ;D but who doesnt like to see bows ;D

Offline Frode

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2011, 11:24:33 pm »
Well, I have gotten 110-120 yards out of a couple of doggy early bows last summer, though to be fair, a lot of that had to do with not being a very good shot, and over shooting the 100 yard target.  Mighta had a little tailwind help, too  ;).  Having picked up a lot of good tips here, I hope to get something better, on purpose this time, this summer.
Frode
If it doesn't rap the lintel, it might not be a longbow.

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2011, 11:25:42 pm »
if i can ill try to post some pics, its not completely finished, needs final sanding and maybe a handle and a sealer ;D
other than thats its done
noel

Offline Little John

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2011, 11:54:18 pm »
Both of my bows were straight limbed osage 64-65 inches nock to nock 1 3/4" wide and rectangular shape to half way then eifel tower shaped taper to 1/4" wide nocks. The last six inches were thick enough to be just barely bending, barely bending enough to know all the outer limb mass possible has been removed. These bows drew 62# at 28" but I probably drew them at least to 29" while flight testing. I still have one of the bows and it retains all of its performance. It has almost 2" of follow. I have a premium piece of seasoned osage that I aim to do better with, I will heat treat two or  more inches into it and do everything else the   same.                           Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell