Author Topic: Static curve Yew (she didn't make it)  (Read 7548 times)

Offline Stiks-N-Strings

• life really is pretty damn simple, just live it!
Re: Static curve Yew (she didn't make it)
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2011, 04:16:44 pm »
I hear ya Pat. Only reason I put the underlays on was to stiffen up the tips that where bending. I do what you do and wait for all the pretty stuff as well I just didn't have much choice here on the underlays at the tips.

I was able to salvage the horn but ended up with 8 stitches in my left index finger from a draw knife. Got lucky and barely missed the tendon. Just a little battle wound LOL. I figured 60" with flipped tips would be plenty for 28" draw. What do you guys think?
learned a great deal many things during my absence the last few years,
True friends are rare and priceless.
You always think it won’t happen to you, well it can it will. Such is life, it ain't fair and shows no indifference. Enjoy it anyway

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2011, 04:45:38 pm »
60" should be fine. Flipped tips adds more strain though. It should be OK if your tillering is.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2011, 02:32:28 am »
personally, for my draw of 28" I like a 64" bow. although yew is elastic somewhat, it doesnt seem to like extreme bending, likes more of a gradual arc. osage will tolerate extreme bends. I have had too many yew bows blow making them short for a long draw. the sapwood is real elastic, but the heartwood can be brittle. just my experience. sorry about your bow. I had a static recurve take down that I was really liking and it blew on me.

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2011, 02:36:23 am »
The very last picture...the the right limb the one that blew?

Offline Stiks-N-Strings

• life really is pretty damn simple, just live it!
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2011, 11:46:29 am »
Yep, Right limb blew on me.

Juniper, It looked like the belly wood is what gave first.  I think my next static yew will be at least 62 to 64.
learned a great deal many things during my absence the last few years,
True friends are rare and priceless.
You always think it won’t happen to you, well it can it will. Such is life, it ain't fair and shows no indifference. Enjoy it anyway