Author Topic: It never ceases to amaze me...  (Read 4003 times)

Offline Bevan R.

Re: It never ceases to amaze me...
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2011, 01:35:50 am »
Didn't think you were Nathen. Just letting you know I kept the 'good' ones for myself.  >:D

Bevan R
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline NTD

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2011, 02:14:54 am »
That's a good thing ;)
Nate Danforth

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2011, 04:43:11 pm »
I always seem to gravitate to the old and rusty tools rather than the nice and shiney new ones.  Bet I'm not the only one in here doing that!  Something about using the old stuff, kinda like hoping some of the old worker's talents are still lingering in the tools.

I carry (And under certain circumstances) an old clay pipe that was made in Jamestown, Virginia Colony, New World circa 1700.  I've had other historical re-enactors go into epileptic fits that I am risking such an old piece of history out On The Trail.  To which I heartily reply, "Eh."
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2011, 06:30:54 pm »
Well after our discussion on old vises and benches I was talking with a coworker (happens to be the same guy who gave me free run of his Osage woodlot) and mentioned I was going to be starting on a Work Bench build.  He smiled at me and walked over to his work bench and opened one of the lower cabinet doors and pulled this out and handed it to me!

He said he has been shoving it around in his workbench at work for 3 years waiting for a reason to use it and when he heard that I was attempting to make bows he said he knew he had found "his" use for the vise.

I guess it's a "two faced" or bi-face type vise that is intended to be mounted on the corner of a work bench and can very efficiently clamp stock both vertical and horizontal.  Pretty dang cool...anyway, time to settle in on a set of plans and get to work.
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2011, 11:16:34 pm »
Cool looking vice from a generous fellow. I am looking forward to seeing it mounted.

Bevan R
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.