Author Topic: Heat vs. Steam  (Read 1557 times)

Offline oakfall

Heat vs. Steam
« on: March 16, 2011, 06:57:35 am »
I want to flip the tips on my lastest HHB bow and I see most use heat. Steam would seem more effective. Yes?

Thanks,
oak

Offline crooketarrow

Re: Heat vs. Steam
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 09:22:22 am »
  Dry wood heat
  Green wood steam
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 11:58:42 am »
What crooked arrow says is the conventional wisdom. I read a response to a post recently however by Marc St.Louis and he remarked to someone that was having a hard time getting one of the white woods ( don't remember which) to accept the bends and Marc said that he steams his recurve tips on white woods. You might search that and confirm it. I think it has to do with the short length of the tip and the white woods properties that makes it call for steam in that scenario. I know I had a bit of a prob with hickory accepting dry heat to create enough bend on some flipped tips. Osage responds well to dry heat amd bending.   I would PM Marc if I were you and confirm it before I did anything. He is very knowledgable and helpful. Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline half eye

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 12:52:29 pm »
For what it's worth, I only use steam for my bending needs.
rich

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 03:09:15 pm »
I tried using dry heat to flip the tips on a HHB bow.  The stave was at least 8 years old, so it was good and dry.  The belly cracked on it.  Now I am cutting it down and making a bow for my daughter out of it.  I think if I had used steam, it might have worked out better.  I wasn't even going for an aggressive bend.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline IndianGuy

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 04:10:39 pm »
dry heat takes patience and practice, You could always use a little lard or grease with your heat as well.
Eric