Author Topic: Little guy  (Read 5286 times)

Offline Lee Slikkers

Re: Little guy
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2011, 11:53:25 pm »
hmm, makes me wonder about the one I found then...I know it sure looked quite a bit different than all the garters I caught around here as a kid.  What state are you in Bevan?
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2011, 12:03:34 am »
I live in the great state of denial!! ;D Just ask JW.

Nebraska. Western Nebraska to be exact. Or Eastern Wyoming, depending on the wind.

Bevan R
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2011, 12:08:54 am »
Dang, all you guys live somewhere cool "out west"...    One day I'll migrate to where I really belong!
~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2011, 12:23:51 am »
Just wait. In a few weeks, 'cool' will not be in the vocabulary here.

Where you at?

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2011, 12:30:52 am »
Lower Western Michigan...Holland (big Dutch/Tulip Time City  ::)

~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline NTD

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2011, 12:54:57 am »
[[/quote]

No way, those tiger Salamanders are so cool!  I raised a few in college when I worked at a Pet Store.

I caught one Garter here last year and it's stripes were pretty yellow as well plus it had some bright red "check" marks in the pattern that were a real knock out.  My German Shorthair likes to "point" snakes so we find any around the house fairly quickly  ;D
[/quote]

Too many dangerous snakes around here to let my GSP "point" the snakes, we'll be snake breaking her as soon as she's mentally able to handle it.

Some of the garters are nasty ugly, many are downright gorgeous though, prettiest one I've seen was one in Idaho while I was fighting fires up there.  I like Tiger salamanders too...too much to feed to my snakes :D

On the "cool" note....yeah it was in the mid to high 80's today...warming up quick here...but that means good things to come ;D

Lee, those eastern hognoses are even cooler than our western hogs...lucky guy I tell ya ;)
Nate Danforth

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2011, 01:28:16 am »
I have come to believe that we all live in great places. It's the 'grass in always greener' syndrome that get people down. I would love to have access to 'road kill' bow skins. But I have come to love living where I am at.
You do have some nice looking snakes Nathen.

Bevan R

Offline johnston

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2011, 02:07:50 pm »
Garter snakes are way cool but they can be dangerous.

Was cutting the grass at my Mom's back when she was still alive. Bunch of flowers and fruit trees grape vines and I do hate a weedeater, Rammed the Snapper under a small pear tree all leaned over, holding up limbs... and a Garter fell down my shirt.

Hey, I planted her another tree.

Lane

Offline Postman

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2011, 03:11:17 pm »
NTD   -awesome that you have a snake pointer  :D
 We trained our yellow lab in college to sniff out reptile room escapes and to a lesser degree outside herps (no hots in that area). My current dog likes to find box turtles, but I didn't teach her to.  Hopefully she wont try and make friends with a copperhead.

Best thing about garters is you can often get them to eat a nightcrawler right after capture.
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline NTD

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2011, 03:26:52 pm »
Postman,

No no my pointer won't be pointing any snakes.  That was Lee who has one that does that.  As soon as My pup is old enough we will be breaking her on snakes.  She is not allowed in the herp room because I don't want her ever comfortable around the smell or presence of snakes.
Nate Danforth

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2011, 12:27:09 am »
i caught a hognose in my yard last year when i first started messing with him he flared his neck out and hissed . after a few minutes he flipped over and gave up . hated to turn him loose he was fun

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2011, 02:09:35 am »
How'd I miss this thread?  Bevan, when I lived in Eastern Nebraska we had a garter snake den in our yard.  One day each spring and one day each fall we'd see garter snakes by the boatloads.  Not sure what was under the ground there, but I suspect it was where somebody had pushed dirt over an old building foundation and buried it.  Seemed like they always came out of a crack in the dirt.  I thought it was cool.  My wife...not so much.  She was interested the first couple times we saw them, but not like me.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2011, 03:08:14 pm »
I would love to see that. I do not mind snakes as a whole. It is the supprise when they take off from between you feet as you walk that scares the crap out of me.
A friend of my Mom's lives in the Sandhills in Nebraska. They have an old fashioned root cellar. A few years ago, she went down there and felt something go by her had before she got the light on. Found out they had blue racers living in there. I told them to leave them, that if they had racers, that meant they had rodents. They would not listen to me. They trapped over 50 blue racers out of that root cellar.

Bevan R

Offline NTD

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2011, 06:20:39 pm »
Speaking of hognose snakes.

Here's a western hognose enjoying a meal, he's quite reatarded though and eats things backwards quite often.

Nate Danforth

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2011, 06:27:35 pm »
Must be a guy if he won't ask for directions to the head. >:D

How often do you feed him?

Bevan R