Author Topic: heat treating wood  (Read 1606 times)

Offline Blacktail

heat treating wood
« on: March 15, 2011, 09:10:21 pm »
this might be a weird question..is it possible to heat treat a piece of wood{if the right thickness}using the burners on a stove...thats with grease and no scorching..i don't have a heat gun and was wondering if the burners would put out the right amount of heat..so,what do you think..john

Offline DEllis

Re: heat treating wood
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 09:16:20 pm »
the very little heat treating I have done was with a propane stove. Worked fine but is easy to scorch if you get in a hurry. Electric should work as well.
Darcy :)
Darcy Ellis
Fort Fraser BC Canada eh!

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 09:26:25 pm »
One thing to keep in mind, I read on another thread recently that a fella heat treated on the stove to reduce some set and when he was done the bow took even more set because the wood shrinks and if its not somehow clamped with a small amout of reflex while doing it, it can take set durring the process due to the wood shrinkage. I think that is what happened, if Im wrong someone will correct me. Other than that it should work fine as long as you make sure not to toast it and can get the heat to soak into the wood good enough.

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 09:43:33 pm »
thanks for the info..keenan,did some heat treating on some bows i am working on and the wood seams to be more stronger...i was wondering if maybe tempering yew might be a thing to do for me...thanks john

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 09:57:08 pm »
I've heard of guy's useing their bbq grill to heat wood
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline eflanders

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 12:18:09 am »
You can use most any heat source to temper wood.  However as others have mentioned, once you heat the wood, it will get somewhat elastic so it should be supported somehow as it is heated.