Author Topic: Unknown Bird  (Read 3232 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Unknown Bird
« on: March 19, 2011, 11:57:06 am »
I wonder if there are any bird watchers or people with a good knowledge of birds here.  I saw a bird yesterday that I have never seen before and am unable to identify.  It was a small bird not much more than 4" in length, by itself and it was not very weary of me; it came to within a couple feet of me.  I took several pictures and a short vid of it.  We have a book on NA birds but I can't find it in there.  Here are some of the pictures I took.  Anyone ever see such a bird?

Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Unknown Bird
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 04:10:28 pm »
Marc it is hard to tell from these pics. Might be an immature goldfinch or possibly a female. A better pic showing the beak will help with the ID.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline HickoryBill

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 04:18:51 pm »
It's an ARIEN!!!   Seriously though I'm not sure.
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 03:28:51 am »
I know it's not, but baby Mocking birds look like that.
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 02:45:13 pm »
LGB  (Related to LBG'S, (Little brown birds)  What state are you in ?  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 12:28:56 am »
My first thought was a pine siskin because of the striping on the back and the V tail, but the breast was too plain.  I showed the pics to a friend that is an ornithologist and she's pretty certain this is a female goldfinch in winter colors.  Goldfinches are one of the very few songbirds in all of the western hemisphere to molt all their feathers TWICE a year.  And when your feathers combine to weigh more than your entire skeleton, that's a major investment in calories!

Either that or it's a venomous duck.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 12:51:28 am »
Jokn, I thought you were going to say falcon food!  :D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 12:57:18 am »
That ornithologist I mentioned?  My favorite quote of hers, "Two types of birds.  Hawks and hawk food."

Offline sailordad

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 01:09:02 am »
not trying to hi jack your hread here Marc
but heres a pic of what i saw out my window friday
somekind of bird of prey

i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 01:11:11 am »
Cooper's hawk or a sharp-shinned hawk.  They cruise the local birdfeeders. 

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 01:15:15 am »
Could be a Merlin's Falcon too...I have them at my Feeders all spring and Summer...they love my Fat and Sassy Finches...and an occasional baby Grackle!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011, 02:28:19 am »
Merlin was my first thought. We have sharp shinnned hawks that nest near our house every year. Love watching them doing their mating flights and watching the young later in the summer practicing their fighting, mating aerobatics. Birds of prey are very special animals.  8)  We've lost a few song birds around the bird feeders but we've also lost 2 sharp shinneds hitting our windows. My wife has a collection of small chickens sitting on the kitchen window. They got one young hawk and the other missed a bird at the feeded and hit the window.  :(

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2011, 06:46:15 am »
Marc I'm sure it's a juvenile  Common Redpoll, Acanthis flammea, or Carduelis flammea. Or maybe a Hoary Redpoll C. hornemanni. I used to have those in a hugh cage as a child.
And the bird of prey I would think it's a Merlin, too.
Frank from Germany...

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011, 01:40:49 pm »
It's just the wrong time of year for  juvenile bird.  He also had no trouble flying

Nice hawk, Tim.

Many year ago a fellow brought me a Sparrow Hawk to take care of.  He had found it either injured or it was a young bird, goes to show how long ago that was as I don't quite remember now.  I kept it for awhile and fed it raw meat but it finally got strong enough that it was ready to go on its own.  I remember towards the end he would perch on the hydro wires and I would throw up some pieces of meat and he would catch them in flight.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2011, 07:08:49 pm »
Thought of that; maybe from a very late 2nd breed. Crossbeeks breed in winter feeding on fir seeds, maybe for the climate getting warmer the redpolls start doing so, too. European migraters noticably change behavior, too.
Frank from Germany...