Author Topic: Tru-Oil?  (Read 4220 times)

Offline Frode

Tru-Oil?
« on: March 19, 2011, 07:19:49 pm »
Hi all,
How warm does it need to be to use Tru-Oil?  Around Indianapolis about now we're seeing everywhere from 38 to 70 degrees.
Thanks,
Frode
If it doesn't rap the lintel, it might not be a longbow.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Tru-Oil?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 07:27:31 pm »
I apply Tru-Oil at all times of year. I usually do my finish work inside the house so the temp is room temp.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Frode

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 08:46:36 pm »
I apply Tru-Oil at all times of year. I usually do my finish work inside the house so the temp is room temp.
Pat,
Sounds from that like differences in humidity aren't much of a problem then either?  I hesitate to open up some finishes inside, partly because petroleum distillates give me a whopping headache right away, but mostly because we have a small parrot, and they're kind of sensitive to that sort of thing (think canary and coal mine).
I'll wait till the garage heats up this week.
Frode
If it doesn't rap the lintel, it might not be a longbow.

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 09:04:33 pm »
Frode
Most oil finishes really bother me as well.  If you are using the Tru oil from the bottle and not spray, it isn't very fumy at all.  Just pour a very small amount in a shot glass or something similar and apply with your finger.  It ends up being such a small amount of oil that there isn't much of a fume problem.
Traverse City, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 09:46:05 pm »
Tru-Oil does take a bit longer to cure during higher humidity.  I've never noticed a petrolium smell at all with Tru-Oil and like Rick I pour a small amount into a clean jar top and seal up the bottle.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline profsaffel

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 10:24:54 pm »
Since you all are on the topic, I plan to use Tru-Oil for the first time very soon and I'm wondering if you have any other application tips, as in how many coats do you prefer, etc.

Thanks,
Prof
Professor of History, Student of Bowyery

Offline SA

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 01:05:48 am »
proffsafel,

i use a sponge brush from a hobby store, works pretty good. wait a couple hours between coats.  i do three to six  depends on how shiny you like it,
Shawn Acker

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 01:19:01 am »
I put it on with a finger and very thin coats. I give each coat a good buffing with 0000steel wool and usually apply 5 or 6 coats. Usually the first few coats take a while to cure. I give them over night before buffing with the steel wool.  After those first few coats I can usually get 2 coats a day on the bow. In humid weather give a day between the coats. The first couple of coats will fill the grain and the steel wool buffing will help to level the finish.
  On hunting bows I give a quick spray of satin poly to cut the shine of the Tru-Oil.

Offline PeteC

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 11:29:47 am »
I have applied Tru-oil all seasons,at a wide range of temps.Hang the bow with a string,balanced at center.I prefer to apply it with my finger.I place small droplets the lenght of one side of a limb,then spread it out quickly and evenly,careful to run my finger down the corners to leave no excess,then the other side,the belly and lastly,the back. then,flip around ,and repeat on the other limb. Quickly,check each limb after coating,to remove runs.If a run slips by you ,it can easily be removed after the coat has dried,with fine paper and steel wool. I prefer to finish in a cool temp,for you have more time to work it flat and smooth. Remember,more light coats turn out much finer than a few heavy coats. I generally put around 10 coats on osage,but on hickory maybe 15 coats to fill the grain to my standards. After the last coat dries,I LIGHTLY remove the gloss with very fine steel wool.then buff with a cloth to bring out a fine satin finish. JMHO  God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 03:41:20 pm »
I do it just like Pat's post.   Thin coats is key.  It will really sag if you put it on too thick
Traverse City, MI

Offline straightarrow

• "Success or failure, neither are final"
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 01:07:06 am »
I apply it using my finger like Pat. I usually build up 4 or five coats before I steel wool. I always give a longer dry time then what is suggested in the directions....especially in high humidity. On thing about tru oil is you get a crusty mess around the rim on the lid and it can get in the finish. I poke a small hole in the foil and only use a half a cap full at a time. When I'm done I wipe the lid out and that prevents any of that crusty stuff from getting in. I usually do about ten coats

Jon

Offline profsaffel

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011, 05:01:35 pm »
Hey, this is a fantastic string of "how to use Tru-Oil" comments. Thanks.
Professor of History, Student of Bowyery