Author Topic: Funny thing happened today  (Read 1666 times)

Offline Stoker

Funny thing happened today
« on: March 21, 2011, 07:34:49 pm »
Month ago I was at a 3d indoor shoot.A fellow I know from work came up to me and was suprized that I did traditional archery.He said that he shot compound.I smiled and nodded.Today he called me and has another job for me to do for him.So we start talking ends up he's giving up the wheels and has biult 3 board bows.First 2 blew up #3 actaully shoots we talked for about 20 minutes about bows and such.This dude is hooked hard so I invited him over to my newly finished shop. Kinda cool finding someone that enjoys the same hobby/addiction.Bout time I got back to my yew.Just goes to show you'll never know what's going happen next. ;)
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: Funny thing happened today
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 10:35:07 pm »
Hmmm... kinda scary to think one of my co-workers might be into primitive "stuff".  I'm too used to being the "odd" one.   ;)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 12:25:15 am »
Something like that happened to me several years ago.  Except I recognized the name of the guy in the article in Primitive Archer.  It was an uncle of mine that I had met once when I was three (he scared the heck outa me) and once again when I was 18 (I think, I dunno...he's one of 18 kids along with my mother). 

We talk on the phone once in a while, got tons of things in common! 

Hey Uncle Myron, hope to see you at the family reunion this summer!!!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Stoker

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 12:36:25 pm »
Jackcrafty.. I know what you mean about being the odd one a work.Wife says I march to a different drummer(She did mention he had only one stick).  ::) This fellow is a construction manager for the city and I'm a Drywall sub-contractor.
JW That's cool about your uncle.. My mama is from a brood of 13
Thanks Leroy

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 01:06:54 pm »
I think word gets around when you make your own bows.  I got a phone call from a stranger last week who wants to make a bow.  Seems an old employer of mine from 13 years ago game him my number and told him I was the guy to talk to about making bows in our town.  I took that as a nice compliment coming from my old boss.  He has made several bows himself and has taken deer and elk with them.  I have kept in touch with him over the years.   
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Stoker

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 04:16:43 pm »
Osage outlaw..Come to think about I've had a few strange phone calls over the years from different guys and my name given out from unlikely sources.I guess people tend to remember you for certain things.At least it's postive.I've done a couple of hacheting up a stave to almost a finished bow at a little reniosonce fair for a nonprofit group. Maybe we are making a positive mark in our communities. A nice thought.
Thanks Leroy

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 10:08:49 pm »
I would rather someone remember me for making bows than for some of the other stuff I have done ;)
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left