Author Topic: china bamboo bow  (Read 16476 times)

Offline james parker

• Global Moderator
    • huntworthyproductions
china bamboo bow
« on: March 21, 2011, 11:12:14 pm »
 here is a bamboo backed  epi bow that ive been workin on,,stiil needs sanding and spraying..  66"  tip to tip 56#@28"..  the bammboo is a new species,i got it from a friend of mine in singapore,,,this is the most unbelievable bamboo that ive ever seen or used,, my friend robin tan harvested some and sent it to me,,, it is very dark in color and the physical weight is some what heavier, the power fibers are are very dense,, ive included pics of the raw slats to show the differences in comparison to what everyone here in the states are used to getting through the suppliers  in the USA ... the slats he will be shipping here only come in  33" lengths - i butt jointed them on this bow with no problems,,also the distance between the joints average from 14" to 18"-   the slates i used were an unbelievable 20" apart... he may be able to ship full legnth slats at a later time...this bow came out really great... if anyone  is intrested in some pm me ,,,also robin will be posting pics of his own here.

Offline james parker

• Global Moderator
    • huntworthyproductions
Re: china bamboo bow
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 11:13:47 pm »
more pics

Offline james parker

• Global Moderator
    • huntworthyproductions
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 11:14:51 pm »
last pics

Offline james parker

• Global Moderator
    • huntworthyproductions
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 11:16:08 pm »
forgot one

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 11:27:15 pm »
WOW, first thing I noticed was how far apart the nodes are. looks like some killer stuff. I have always wanted to try bamboo but the horror stories of it splitting scares me away. nice bow btw.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline shikari

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 11:35:34 pm »
Nice bow James,I definately want some for some composite cores.
cheers
P.J.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 12:20:01 am »
I saw them in person and was blown away at how much heavier and strong they were. And now I'm really impressed with just two nodes for a 66" bow, even if it is spliced. Nice looking bow, James, and looks smooth on the draw.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline RyanY

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 01:11:25 am »
That's one beautiful bow. Looks darn near perfect. Great job.

Offline 22arrows

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 01:28:23 am »
sharp lookin  ;)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 01:38:11 am »
That's the boo you were telling me about. I love the natural color/design on the rind. I have a few boo ideas I want to ask you about at the Classic.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Gaur

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 02:11:20 am »
cool James.  What were you using before as a species?  Moso?

"...He made me a polished arrow and hid me in His quiver." Is 49:2

Offline aero86

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 02:51:53 am »
looks like an awesome bow!  but my question is, can you get arrow shaft material with that stuff!
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

HatchA

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 03:01:25 am »
Great looking boW  Nice full draw.

Bamboo looks beautifully "rustic" in it's natural state.  Does your friend work the slats to a specific thinness before shipping to cut down on weight etc?

Offline RT

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011, 03:55:54 am »
Here are some pics of the bamboo newly harvested
Skype ID:       robinpmtan
Yahoo chat ID : robt188

Offline RT

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2011, 04:21:12 am »
Hi all, I have been a hobbies bow builder building bamboo back bow and belly bow for some years now.
I would like to share with all bow builders some of the bamboo that I have harvested and I have also traded these boo with a few
bowyers, Bamboo for wood.........................................this included Robustus.....

The characteristic of my bamboo are as follow:

1)  mature and very hard with thick layer of power fibres. will not splinter when bend into a "U"
      shape
2) The node to node distance is normally 14 to 16 inches.............some extending to 20" node to node.
3) Bamboo are harvested during the dry season, this will ensure little water stays in the wood.

I would like to share with all some details on the bamboo. I have harvested some 8 species of bamboo so far in South East Asia, so far
this is the hardest and strongest boo that I come across. Most of the diameter of the boo ranges from 4" to 6" in diameter................ :D
Please see the pics as i believe a pics tells a thousand words........

Skype ID:       robinpmtan
Yahoo chat ID : robt188