Author Topic: where to find flint any help  (Read 2315 times)

Offline jturkey

• I wouldn't make it a habit calling me that!
where to find flint any help
« on: March 24, 2011, 02:22:16 am »
I live in mississippi northern area my family knows of an indian camp site that was used to make arrows due to the large number of arrow heads that we have found in the area. but when we look for the flint there is none to be found and we have went over just about everybit of the river bottom looking for it. would this be in an area where they would bring flint to to be worked or are we missing something.
doc

Offline nclonghunter

Re: where to find flint any help
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 03:52:44 am »
Not sure how far you are from Flint Ridge, Ohio but that would be a great resource. Post some pics of the points you have found and I'm certain someone on here could name the type of flint and where it likely came from..Maybe
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 09:07:52 am »
if ya live in torth MS just look in the creeks, if you dont find any flint drive north a few miles and look agin. Your find some.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline jturkey

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 11:43:59 am »
nc i am a long way away from ohioit is a pretty good drive from here over 9 hrs my guess. and leaping i have been over the river and most of the creeks pretty much all my life i will get some picture of some of the points we have collected and post them later.was just wondering if indian tribes did that carried lots of stone to seperate areas far from a collecting site to knapp the points and i'm talking a long distantance.10 miles or better.
doc

JustinNC

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2011, 12:03:04 pm »
nc i am a long way away from ohioit is a pretty good drive from here over 9 hrs my guess. and leaping i have been over the river and most of the creeks pretty much all my life i will get some picture of some of the points we have collected and post them later.was just wondering if indian tribes did that carried lots of stone to seperate areas far from a collecting site to knapp the points and i'm talking a long distantance.10 miles or better.

I know of a few obsidian points found here in NC.......................that's 2500 miles. Things were traded a long way back then. On a more common level, Ive found rhyolite points 75mi+ straight line distance from the closest rhyolite here in NC...and one close to 150mi from the closest source.

Offline jturkey

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 12:33:29 pm »
amazing! :o :o :o
doc

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 05:26:14 pm »
I Know a guy who found a TN river blade cache that were knapped from KY Blue by on the Cumberland by LBL the closest source of KY blue is over 60 miles away as far as i know.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 07:10:07 pm »
obsidian and texas chert lithics have been dug up here in the north east. that should give you an idea how far the trade routes went.  :)
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

JustinNC

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 11:11:21 pm »
Obsidian in the north east and obsidian in North Carolina......I'm not sure that will be beat.