Author Topic: white ash build along (finally done( this time for real))  (Read 60128 times)

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
white ash build along (finally done( this time for real))
« on: March 26, 2011, 01:03:28 am »
i got Pat B's ash stave in the mail today and got to work right away on it, here is the before and after pictures ;D
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 08:08:05 pm by fishfinder401 »
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline fishfinder401

Re: white ash build along
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 01:05:13 am »
ok........ thats not the actual bow, thats just a piece i took of the belly ;D, its actually alot more affective than i thought it would be
small birds and rodents of all kinds beware >:D, i have a new bow and im itching to use it >:D ;D
noel

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 01:40:01 am »
Noel, that is a very good way to determine if a specific piece of wood will make a bow.
  I'll let the experts help you with this bow and sit back and watch. I know I'll be soaking up info and maybe I can contribute also.
  Good luck with your bow. If I didn't think you could do it, I wouldn't have sent you the stave!  ;)
  Pass it on!  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline RyanY

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 05:25:31 am »
I almost threw a fit till I saw your next post. That stave looks excellent. What draw weight are you going for? Dimensions?

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 11:42:16 am »
I almost threw a fit till I saw your next post. That stave looks excellent. What draw weight are you going for? Dimensions?
im going for 120@32 unless i heat treat the belly then i might try for like 140, but i don't want to experiment with heat treating on such a nice stave so probably the 120is mark , im not sure of dimensions, but it will be around 75 long and im thinking a modified elb design, slightly shallower and wider, not sure though, i want to get other opinions before i cut into it  ;D
thanks for the interest
noel

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 01:02:51 pm »
That is a very nice stave that has been seasoning for 3 or 4 years and has good even rings. It was given to me by the son of a friend(Tom B on PA) that passed away last year from a brain tumor. I wrote an article in the last issue of PA about our community coming together to build a memorial archery sety to present to Patrick(Tom's son) in Tom's memory.
  I haven't worked enough ash to be helpful and especially not with a war bow. With patience(remember that?  ::) ) and you will get lots of info from these guys here in the War Bow section.   8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Ian.

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 01:05:07 pm »
I look forward to seeing the progression, Alan had a table of dimensions in his guide.
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 02:01:24 pm »
That was a nice gesture Pat.

I'm looking forward to seeing what comes out of that stave too.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 02:38:54 pm »
fishfinder401, sounds like a plan. I haven't worked with ash but I think you'd rather have a really nice 120#er than try for something heavier and have it not come out. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011, 03:04:24 pm »
thanks everyone for your encouragement ;D, now especially after hearing where it came from, i want to do this stave justice and make a amazing bow out of it ;D, who knows, while im making it, if a piece big enough for an arrow comes off, i think that would be fitting to have for it.
i might be getting ahead of myself, but what would be a good waterproof coating, i usually use linseed oil, but i don't have as much experience as most people here, also would horn nocks be a good idea, and if so, should i get some of the premade ones you can buy, or should i hand craft them
thank you everyone especially Pat B
noel
PS: Pat, if possible, i would like to put something towards that memorial archery set you mentioned putting together

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2011, 03:25:44 pm »
Noel, the set has already been made and presented to Patrick. Check out the Feb/Mar 2011 issue of PA Magazine, pg. 46 to be exact..."Our Community Shines".
  I use Tru Oil on most of my bows. It is a gun stock finish made from linseed oil and other oils and dryers.

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2011, 03:41:01 pm »
darn, i would have liked to be a part of that :(, hope he liked it ;D, what my dad has used to coat some woods sounds like that, he mixes linseed oil, paint thinner and i think polyurethane and wipes the excess off before it dries on the top, does that sound like it would work?
thanks
noel

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2011, 06:29:41 pm »
I think jaro says he makes his his ash warbows a bit more oval of a cross section than d. All the couple ash longbows (not warbows, longbows, :) ) I have made have taken pretty bad set, so next time I personally will not use a slightly shallow oval cross section again on an ash longbow. But I would definitely take jaros word after seeing the very nice warbows he pops out. I have heard ash can chrysals pretty bad on the other hand, and have had it chrysal on me. But then again I remember a 120# @ 32" ash warbow a guy on paleoplanet made, looked like it shot ridiculously fast. Will definitely be following this...
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2011, 08:41:24 pm »
I think jaro says he makes his his ash warbows a bit more oval of a cross section than d. All the couple ash longbows (not warbows, longbows, :) ) I have made have taken pretty bad set, so next time I personally will not use a slightly shallow oval cross section again on an ash longbow. But I would definitely take jaros word after seeing the very nice warbows he pops out. I have heard ash can chrysals pretty bad on the other hand, and have had it chrysal on me. But then again I remember a 120# @ 32" ash warbow a guy on paleoplanet made, looked like it shot ridiculously fast. Will definitely be following this...
what shape do you think works best, ill take any opinions on this, i'm defiantly leaning towards a slightly flattened oval shape mabey a 2-3 ratio of hight to depth mabey 2-1/2 wide by 1-2/3 deep, ill have to seee what the wood like when i get there and see what its trying to tell me ;D
noel

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2011, 02:07:03 am »
i am going to start shaping the stave so i was wondering what other people thought for dimensions and shapes
i wont be getting close to looking like the final shape for another day or two, depends on how late i'm willing to stay up
thanks for the time and input
noel