Author Topic: white ash build along (finally done( this time for real))  (Read 60197 times)

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
Re: white ash build along (new full draw video added)
« Reply #120 on: June 13, 2011, 12:37:45 am »
i realized that once i saw the video, im going to work it out and hopefully post a new video soon
thanks for the advice
noel
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #121 on: June 13, 2011, 12:43:32 am »
Hinge and stiff spots, I agree top limb looks great imo and it sounds like you are aware of these spots as indicated a couple posts ago and are working on them.  Either way it looks like its shooting an arrow real well for ya and your enjoying it so thats the main thing! Not saying these tiller issues dont need addressed but I think you know that  ;D ;)
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #122 on: June 13, 2011, 01:15:24 am »
Noel, are you using a tiller tree while tillering so you can step back and look at the bend?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #123 on: June 13, 2011, 01:29:07 am »
a combination of tiller tree and having my brother take pictures while drawing, mostly because i don't feel safe having it draw in my basement which has very low ceilings. do know of any plans for a freestanding tiler tree i could use outdoors?
thanks
noel

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #124 on: June 13, 2011, 01:50:17 am »
Tiller trees are a snap to make, and probably one of the best tools a bowyer can have (well, this bowyer anyway - I couldn't make a bow without one).  If you want to make one, just drill or dig a hole about 4 feet deep and throw a 4x4 of treated lumber in and fill it in.  Put a pully on the bottom, mark 1 inch increments on the post, and there's your tree.  No plans necessary  ;D

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #125 on: June 13, 2011, 01:55:31 am »
wow, i feel stupid, i was thinking of makeing a elaborate strand to hold it instead of placing it in a hole :-[, genius, pure genius ;D

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #126 on: June 13, 2011, 03:07:01 am »
My definition of primitive,,,"using what you have(in this case a brain) to get what you need!"   ;D  Also, think simple. I think most folks try to make this wood bow building stuff more complicated than they need to!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #127 on: June 13, 2011, 05:43:35 am »
I made a portable tiller tree. A length of 2x2 with a block screwed in near the top and a pulley at the bottom. You can strap it to a convenient tree or fence post with rubber strapping, easy peasy.
The problem with digging a big holeversion is transporting the hole, I tried carrying one in my car but it just fell through the floor ::)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #128 on: June 13, 2011, 01:44:10 pm »
I made a portable tiller tree. A length of 2x2 with a block screwed in near the top and a pulley at the bottom. You can strap it to a convenient tree or fence post with rubber strapping, easy peasy.
The problem with digging a big holeversion is transporting the hole, I tried carrying one in my car but it just fell through the floor ::)
Del
    del when you use the portable style you only transport half the hole ::) ;D O:)
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline CraigMBeckett

« Reply #129 on: June 17, 2011, 09:22:56 am »
a combination of tiller tree and having my brother take pictures while drawing, mostly because i don't feel safe having it draw in my basement which has very low ceilings. do know of any plans for a freestanding tiler tree i could use outdoors?
thanks
noel

Noel, a lot of  English professional bowyers tiller their bows upside down to the way people do it in the states, if using scales they hang the scales from a suitable beam, then hang the bow by the string from the scales and pull the bow downwards, either by hand or by a cord attached to a pulley system or winch etc. that way if the bow breaks instead of it flying upwards and into your ceiling it goes downward and impacts on the floor, which is of course much harder and more difficult to damage. May be worth trying if you want to work in the basement.

Craig.

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #130 on: June 17, 2011, 12:37:34 pm »
good idea, that might work ;D

Offline nidrinr

« Reply #131 on: June 20, 2011, 09:29:28 pm »
If you want to keep the pounds on this one, and also even out the tiller, I'm pretty sure the bow will survive even if you short it down an inch or two.. -And sorry if I should have remembered from earlier responds in this thread, but did you heat treat it?

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #132 on: June 20, 2011, 09:41:48 pm »
i didn't heat treat it, and if it comes in anywhere form around 90+ ill be happy, im going to go for a heavier one this summer from ipe and hickory, and i also have a nice hickory stave that im going to see what i can get out of it
thanks
noel

Offline fishfinder401

Re: white ash build along (finally done)
« Reply #133 on: August 01, 2011, 02:48:52 pm »
sorry for taking so long, i finnaly had the drive to finish tillering and putting a finish on it  ;D, it feels amazing, heavy, but not too heavy( haven't measured yet) it has a hand rubbed bees' wax finish
ill have pictures up later today
thanks for your patience  and advice
noel

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
Re: white ash build along (finally done)
« Reply #134 on: August 04, 2011, 02:28:26 am »
pics please ;D I bet it turned out nice :)

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)