Author Topic: Using reflex  (Read 10344 times)

Trapper

Re: Using reflex
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2007, 09:00:47 pm »
Justin , thats why evryone I know uses a armguard when they shoot a stick bow, I like my brace to be as low as I can get it on my bows , without the feathers hitting the handle at brace , I would say about six in. brace is plenty.Low brace means more energy being tranfered to the arrow.    Trapper

Offline markinengland

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2007, 04:51:03 am »
Steve,
Interested in what you say about a wide bow causing less damaged wood and hence more efficiency.
I hadn't looked at tillering in quite that way. I may have to change the way I do backed Ipe bows now!
Wouldn't the same basically apply to a longer bow?
Wide shorter bow avoiding damaged wood and set equals good near brace height draw weight and efficiency and efficient overall mass.
Narrow longer bow avoiding damaged wood and set equals good near brace height draw weight and efficiency and efficient overall mass.
Might explain what people like Paul Comstock have been saying about longer bows being more efficient and faster?
Mark in England

Offline Badger

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2007, 03:43:26 am »
Mark, there seems to be a somwhat delicate ballance in the relationship of working limb to draw length. A longer bow can be extremely fast if not throwing too much limb around. I kind of like the old rule of working limb equals draw length, plus or minus a little but not much either way. I made a 72" hickory bow for a friend this year that draws 31", I was shocked at how fast it was as it was intended to be just a good shooting hunting bow. That same bow drawing 28" was not nearly as efficient even allowing for the draw weight difference. I think we see this a lot in the english longbows. Steve

Offline Dan Perry

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2007, 05:22:07 am »
Steve,

Good post.  And good replies too.

My brain was frazzled from writing, so I thought I would check in here.  I agree with what you are saying.  It is the point of deminishing returns.  Once the wood begins to break down, pushing the design into more reflex or narrower limbs, doesn't give any more. And it usually gives you less.

Dan