Author Topic: Looking for some dutchman plug advice  (Read 3728 times)

Offline Dvshunter

Looking for some dutchman plug advice
« on: April 07, 2011, 12:23:58 am »
The bow I have been finishing for the trade had developed an issue in a small cluster of pin knots after about 1000 shots.  I was shooting it and noticed some small cracks in the cecnter of each knot. They are only about 1/8in. long but I don't like the looks of them. I could qraw the area with some thread or sinew, but I was wanting to do a dutchman plug with a piece of zebrawood to match the accents that I used. I've never done one. Have any of you? If so, any pointers? I've done plugs before in flooring and custom staircases.
I'd also like to see some color pics instead of the ones in Jay MAsseys book.
Thanks. I'll get some pics of the cracks tomorrow.
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
Re: Looking for some dutchman plug advice
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 04:24:19 am »
Never done a dutchmun but I would think if the cracks are small and running with the grain they should be fine ??? unless they are getting bigger then you could maybe glue and wrap them I would think? I am not familiar with the dutchman is it in tbb? Do you have any pictures you can post so we can see how bad the cracks are? I am interested to see what the more experianced guys say on this one but I would think it would be easier for people to help out if they could see the cracks if thats possible.

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 10:09:17 am »
   I've only done this with Osage, I'D SUPPER GLUE IT FISRT. Shoot it some and see what happens. I always go the easest route first. Drilling the hole first elimanates trying the glue and you may end up with bigger problems by dilling the hole. The easest is use'lly the best.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 12:19:08 pm »

This is the area in question.
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 03:03:01 pm »
I really wouldn't worry about that. Apply a drop of superglue - just to be sure. But I REALLY wouldn't start messing with a dutchman plug on a finished bow! It has already a thousand shots through her. Do you seriously think it hasn't been shot in yet?
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 03:08:41 pm »
I agree from looking at the small cracks in the pin knots I wouldnt worry about them, I cant see them compromising the integrity of the bow IMO
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 08:21:24 pm »
I really wouldn't worry about that. Apply a drop of superglue - just to be sure. But I REALLY wouldn't start messing with a dutchman plug on a finished bow! It has already a thousand shots through her. Do you seriously think it hasn't been shot in yet?

it's definitely been shot in. The cracks showed up a few weeks ago after I got home from OJAM. I've still shot it. I was just wanting some second opinions.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 08:21:52 am »
I sure don't like the way they are running,if they went the other way[with the grain] I wouldn't worry at all. I have never done a plug but I would at very least supper glue,I would also probably
rape it. If it gets off the knot and into the yellow wood ,it will probably pop up a splinter. :) Tough call.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good