Author Topic: Osage Pyramid Bow Build-Along-FINISHED!  (Read 30662 times)

Offline nyarrow

Re: Osage Pyramid Bow Build-Along
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2011, 09:20:43 am »
Awesome looking bows 4est. I have never seen the kerf technique. When doing so do you apply the perry reflex glue in the kerfed area?

Offline DLH

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2011, 01:17:20 am »
Your bows are great 4est fell in love with them the second you started the build along that made you famous :)

Offline 4est Trekker

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2011, 02:28:57 am »
nyarrow:  Yep, that's exactly right.  The glue joint holds the bend induced at glue-up.

DLH: You know, I never thought more than a few people would every use that buildalong.  It was kind of just something I did to pass the time.  I really should redo it and/or update it a bit. 
"Walk softly, and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline billy bowmaker

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2011, 09:45:23 am »
this looks great, and it makes me want to see "the buildalong that made you famous"....what was that?

Offline bubby

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2011, 08:18:43 pm »
yeah 4est, you should repost you're red oak build-a-long, lots of newbie's on here and it's a great, very detailed build-a-long,probablly help a lot of them out, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline johnston

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2011, 01:00:39 am »
4est you have done gone and made art. Bet the thing shoots too.

About that build-a-long...Would really like to see that if you have the time.

Lane

Offline 4est Trekker

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2011, 07:02:12 pm »
Thanks, all.  I'll have to see about posting a revised version of the buildalong here on PA.  I would love to help ya'll out, and just need to some to organize it a bit.  Here's a picture of the buildalong bow that is now piked to 65".  The left limb is the bottom (and thus stronger) limb.  It's heavy near the fade on the tree, but pulls into an even tiller when drawn in the hand with a low-heel grip. It's 2" short of full draw and holds 3/4" of the original 2" of reflex heated in.  The tips have been left wide and stiff in case I decide to flip the tips.  Thanks for looking!

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline DLH

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2011, 10:40:20 pm »
nyarrow:  Yep, that's exactly right.  The glue joint holds the bend induced at glue-up.

DLH: You know, I never thought more than a few people would every use that buildalong.  It was kind of just something I did to pass the time.  I really should redo it and/or update it a bit. 

Yes that would be good your a great teacher as well. I have wondered as to how narrow red oak could go as well. Maybe include some heat treating or perry reflex to add some new techniques?

Offline Keenan

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2011, 11:34:19 pm »
 That trade bow is looking awesome 4est. And those other bows are beauties. Nice work ;)

Offline 4est Trekker

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2011, 01:12:30 am »
Howdy, folks.  Here's an update on the bow. I flipped the tips just a tiny bit using the kerf technique (i.e. I resawed the last several inches of the limb and glued in a thin rosewood lamination while inducing reflex).  I than added rosewood tip underlays and overlays.  I haven't yet roughed in the handle. 

It's shown at my full draw, which is still 2" short of the recipient's.  It's also going to come out smack dab at the bottom end of the recipient's requested weight.  I would have liked about 3-5# on this one, but I think it will do just fine.  After working it in to the recipient's full draw and shooting it a bunch at my draw length the tips are about dead even after unstringing, settling to about 1/2" of reflex when relaxed.  Not perfect, but I'm a-okay with it.  I've turned the final full draw picture sideways and cropped it so you can get a better look.  Thanks!

Top limb is on top here:

« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 10:03:31 am by 4est Trekker »

Offline bubby

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2011, 03:00:38 am »
look's great, I know I'd take her in a heart beat, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2011, 01:25:52 pm »
Awesome bow 4est. perfect for hunting or anything else... looks like you used a tapered lam in the kerf. you can use a non tapered kerf I imagine(cant do a taper to save my life) -tiller is spot on btw, excellent job on everything
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline 4est Trekker

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2011, 08:00:42 pm »
Eric:  Depending on how thick your kerf cut is, you can use a straight lamination.  Actually, for this one I just created a straight lamination using a little jig (see below) I made and the tapered the end by hand on my belt sander until it fit snuggly into the base of the kerf.  I didn't really set out to create a perfect tapered lam. 

Below is a rough little mock-up of the jig I use to sand my kerf and underlay laminations thin and flat.  It's obviously not to scale, but basically the little lip keeps the lam from shooting off the belt sander while the longer part allows me to put equal pressure on the lam, preventing me from sanding a radius into it. 

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2011, 10:06:04 pm »
Thanks for the tip 4est. I think I need to invest in a belt/disc sander. right now I just use my 3x21 hand belt sander upside down in a vise. I do like the idea of the kerf recurve with tropicals especially since they seem to be hard to heat bend.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2011, 11:02:53 pm »
That little ASCII sketch made it all clear, thanks.  Now you got me wanting to do this on a bow.  I may never have time to do all the tricks I have seen used on this site. 

And back to the bow itself....sweeeeeeet!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.