Author Topic: one more osage trade bow (finished)  (Read 10785 times)

Stringman

Re: one more osage trade bow
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2011, 11:57:15 am »
Well, I've been shootin it a little and finally got the wife to take some pics at full draw. I really like how it shoots, but I'm a little concerned that I didn't nail the tiller. In the past I probably wouldn't worry about it, however, since it's a trade bow I wanna make sure I give it my best. Sooo, your scrutiny would be appreciated. Right now its drawing 50# @ __". (don't want to give it away.)  ;) I really don't wanna lose very much more than that, so any changes will have to be minimal.

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2011, 12:43:03 pm »
how'd ya do the design on the back? close-ups of the design would be great, if ya would. thanks!
wild women don't get the blues

Offline Parnell

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2011, 01:11:34 pm »
That's another great looking bow!   :)
1’—>1’

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2011, 02:33:31 pm »
tiller dont look bad to me ??? that is turning out nice, great job.

Stringman

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2011, 03:06:28 pm »
The design on the rawhide is walnut stain applied at angles to one another. I'll get some more detailed pics after I decide what I'm gonna do on the handle (hate to cover it up, but I have to cause of the rawhide splice.) I've got a piece of brain tan that I'm workin on now and I might give it a stain and use that. I really hate to use commercial tanned leather any more. Overall, I'm pleased with the way it turned out. Just a few more final touches and it's gonna be headed home.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2011, 03:15:51 pm »
I think it looks great if you really wanted to be picky it might have a little flat area on the upper limb just below center limb ??? Looks great! good job

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Orkraider

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2011, 06:45:12 pm »
I think that's an awesome looking bow right there.  I also see a wee bit of a flat spot as noted above, but I wouldn't have ever seen it otherwise.

Nice workshop, and very nice pics. 

Someone's going to be very happy with the bow.
Riley, Saint Paul, MN

Stringman

Re: one more osage trade bow (finished)
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2011, 12:53:34 am »
Well, I do believe she's ready. We've had some good times as well as some growin pains, but all in all, I'm gonna hate to see her go... I will say I have truly enjoyed this trade and hope that my bow finds a happy home. Just remember she was born to hunt.   ;)

I will try to get her shipped out this next week. Let me know if you like her.

Offline HickoryBill

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2011, 01:06:35 am »
Looks pretty sweet!!! Now just put it in a box and ship it to me!!! >:D >:D
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2011, 01:09:44 am »
Very nice bow Stringman. I'm sure the recipient will be thrilled.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ohma2

« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2011, 11:11:57 am »
any one aught to be happy with that, your finish work looks top shelf. id say you got the tiller right on . someones going to be very pleased.

HatchA

« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2011, 12:03:45 pm »
A LOT of beautiful images in those pic's you posted!!!  Beautifully finished bow and I love the grip accent.  Interesting tip overlays - you slicing the antler from the crown up along it's length?  Think I saw something similar in a bow that broke in another post somewhere but it's more "visible" on this bow.  Nice job!!

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2011, 01:36:03 pm »
That turned out really nice, someone is getting a great bow there hope its me  ;D.

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Stringman

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2011, 01:46:54 pm »
Thanks guys, for all the kind words. The bow was dropped off at the post office this morning so you should be seeing it in about a week...

Offline DEllis

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2011, 03:13:21 pm »
That looks like a happy recipient in the making ;D
Darcy
Darcy Ellis
Fort Fraser BC Canada eh!