Author Topic: New bow, and catching up  (Read 6140 times)

Offline Orkraider

New bow, and catching up
« on: April 07, 2011, 05:58:35 pm »
I haven't been on here in quite some time.  I've been spending a lot less time on the computer, and a lot more time in my workshop space making bows.  I joined a non proft org with a space called "The Hack Factory " (no link as I don't remember the policy about linking outside of here) that has every kind of tool a boy could want.

I've made about 10 bows or so since I was active on here last year.  Mostly sticking with red oak board bows, as that's what's cheaply available and what I've had succes with; I have started doing laminates, namely red oak backed with hickory with reflex and deflex glued in, with some success.

Here are some pics of my most recent bow, finished it up a few days ago.

It's a red oak board bow, 6' long, string knocks are about 1" in from each end.  I think it's about 67" or so ntn when strung, not sure, haven't taken a tape to it with a string on it.  Half inch wide and thick at the tips, half  inch thick to the fades, handle narrows down to just about an inch wide.  Started with a 1" by 2" by 6' piece of red oak. 

I did some glue on recurve, similar to what 4est trekker does in his pyramid bow build along (one of my faves).  It has tip overlays that I think are ipe, and the handle is layered red oak and I think mahogany.  (we have a lot of scrap hardwood around the space, I grab what feels right and looks purty)

I've started putting notches in all my bows between the string nocks and the end of the tips, so that my bow stringer can simply be a rope with 2 loops on the ends, this has made my life a lot easier.

If anyone has any questions, let me know.  I'll be posting pics of my laminated reflex deflex bows as soon as I can.

Also, I just want to say, even tho I haven't been participating on the forums here at all lately, all the good stuff I've learned came from here.  Every time I start talking about bows at my shop space, I find myself quoting Jawge in particular several times over the conversation.  This is my favorite addiction. Thanks, all.

below:  here's a pic of the handle, very happy with how this came out.

below: a blurry side view pic of the tip overlay, showing the string nocks and the stringer notch

below: a slightly less blurry pic of the tip overlay, showing also the glued on recurve

below: the full draw pic.  Behind me, you can see my shop space.  Below my left arm are 3 other bows I was messing with that day.  Behind my left elbow is my chaotic mess of bowyering work table and junk.

Last, a peak at some of my other bows. The top and bottom bows are a matching pair of red oak board bows I made as presents for my younger brothers, both 6' long, 50# draw at 28".  2nd and 3rd down are pyramid bows I made from 4est trekkers awesome build along.  4th down is my first reflex /deflex hickory/red oak bow.  6', 60#, lightest mass bow I've ever made, but it puts arrows downrange faster than anything else.
Riley, Saint Paul, MN

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
Re: New bow, and catching up
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 07:40:25 pm »
Nice work I like the overlays and the tiller looks nice, glad to have ya back ;D Looks like a nice place to build bows there.
Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline half eye

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 08:05:50 pm »
very nice bend profile on that, sir
rich

Offline Acutus

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 12:46:06 am »
Looking good!!!

Welcome back! ;D

Offline Orkraider

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 01:10:35 am »
Thanks guys.
Riley, Saint Paul, MN

Offline Orkraider

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 06:44:08 am »
Here's a little update on this bow, and a lesson on something I thought I knew, but it's really solidified now.

Today we had a big event at my workshop space, over a 1000 people came through, and it was wicked cool.

A local micro brewery dude donated a lot of beer for the event, which was great.

He was really reallly really drunk.

I went to show my new bow to this girl I was talking to.  She handed it to the drunk guy.  He tried to string it with the old behind the leg thing.  I walked over and was all, "No this is how I do it, use the stringer. There, hold that, that's how a bow is supposed to be strung."

I turned around to pick up my drink, and turned back just in time to see drunk dude doing some kind of warbow draw back behind his ear, followed by a CRAAAACK as the top limb snapped in mid limb.

This bow had never been pulled back more than 28", and sure wasn't meant for that.

The moral of the story:  never let anyone else handle Your wood bow.  'specially drunk dude.
Riley, Saint Paul, MN

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 11:30:13 am »
"I turned around to pick up my drink, and turned back just in time to see drunk dude doing some kind of warbow draw back behind his ear, followed by a CRAAAACK as the top limb snapped in mid limb."

I hate ignorant people. I once gave a couple bows to a couple guys I know, trying to get em into archery and shooting so I could have someone to go shoot crap with and such, and in five minutes the finish/paint was ruined and I about got in a fight trying to tell one guy not to string it wrong by pushing the limb against the ground with his knee in the handle about to brake the tip off. Instantly he just shoved the tip in the dirt and rocks to string in that way, scratching the wood tips and rubbing off the finish. I really really wanted to just beat the life outta him... But should of just beat the life outta myself for giving away something that took much time and work to someone so ungrateful who was not an archer to begin with. Now I will never give/sell/let handle one of my bows that I have made with my own two hands to anyone who is not an archer period by rule.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline johnston

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 01:27:38 am »
Orkraider , we have never met but you showed up at a good time. I am just starting my first board bow and yours really help a fellow realize what can be done.
I plan to follow Jawge's outline on his site and to look up everything you have posted. Thanks

Lane