Author Topic: Deer Or Woodchuck Rawhide For Bow Strings?  (Read 3401 times)

Offline woodsman

Deer Or Woodchuck Rawhide For Bow Strings?
« on: May 29, 2011, 11:00:11 am »
First off, I want to say hi to everybody. I've been reading and looking at pictures and I have to say that you folks build some beautiful archery tackle.

Of those of you that have used it, which do you think makes the best bow strings, woodchuck or whitetail deer rawhide?

Offline half eye

Re: Deer Or Woodchuck Rawhide For Bow Strings?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 11:25:22 am »
woodsman,
       First off hi back at ya, in My neck of the woods (Northern Michigan) the NA tribes used both snapping turtle neck skin and wood chuck hide. The woodchuck hide was "fur on" and looks pretty cool. Here's a pic of a Potawatomi bow with the original string....it's from the Peabody Museum. Sorta looks like one big string silencer to me, eh? ::)
rich

Offline woodsman

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 11:40:45 am »
Thanks for the reply half eye, I appreciate it. That's a cool bow string. It appears to be a single strand of hide? Do you think a single strand would be heavy enough for a 50# bow? I have a few woodchuck and a deer hide in the freezer that I haven't gotten around to drying yet. After seeing that picture, I don't think I'll de-hair the chucks. I hadn't even thought of using snappers. Thanks again.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 11:53:33 am by woodsman »

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 02:36:53 pm »
I have not ever made a rawhide string, but from what I have gathered the smaller animals (squirrel,woodchuck etc) have tougher skin.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline half eye

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 03:52:31 pm »
If ya look just above center on the string (where the fur is sparse) looks to me like it's at least 2 ply. Another thing is if ya twist up a flat piece of any type of leather it sort makes a round tube lookin thing....the upper part of this string looks more braided (plaited) so my GUESS would be multi-strand, then twist.
rich

Offline woodsman

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 06:53:03 pm »
ErictheViking - You're probably right. My Grandfather used to tell me that woodchuck and squirrel hides made the best shoe laces, as far as strength goes at least.

half eye - I should have looked closer. It does look like a two ply string. I'd think you would need a two ply string for a hunting strength bow anyway. Thank you both for your input.