Author Topic: Question about billets  (Read 5326 times)

Offline Titan_Bow

Question about billets
« on: June 05, 2007, 05:02:13 pm »
 I have a few nice sets of billets that have been setting in my shop for awhile.  I only have a small 9" bandsaw, and have been hesitant about attempting to cut a splice with it, as I cannot get smooth cuts with large amounts of wood.
  MY question is, would it be easier to do a take-down sleeve, or can you cut the splice with a good handsaw?  If I attempt the splice with my bandsaw, I beleive I could get it close,  but wouldnt the slight imperfections create a weak spot?  I like the idea of a take-down, I just have never attempted one.  How easy are the sleeve take-downs to install?

Thanks,
Titan
"Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Question about billets
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 05:18:02 pm »
A good hand saw will work.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Gordon

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 05:27:16 pm »
Slight imperfections are of no consequence when you use a gap filling glue such as Urac or Epoxy for the splice. Go ahead and use your bandsaw for the cuts.
Gordon

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 05:30:48 pm »
You can also steam the joints after they are cut. Put them together and clamp them tight.  This will squeeze the joints together and make them match better.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 10:08:41 pm »
I'm kind of curious what type of glue you all use.  Justin

SW Utah

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007, 12:08:34 am »
............."hidey glue"..........bob

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2007, 12:14:28 am »
 I have cut splices that weren't perfect and never lost one. You could also put a dowel through the handle splice from side to side for added strength but it probably won't be necessary. By boiling or steaming the cut ends and putting them together like Justin said you will get a better fit, especially on white wood.  Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 10:52:35 am »
I use resorcinol or URAC, both have the wood flour to give them good gap-filling properties.  I think URAC is supposed to fill a 1/16" gap without crazing.  Might even be slightly more than that.

You can also use small slivers of wood to help fill in gaps.  I agree that the small bandsaw will work fine.  Use a sharp blade, something at least 4tpi.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2007, 02:44:22 pm »
I would use the bandsaw, just make sure you have the belly side of the billets in the handle nice and flat and matched in height between the two for a good platform to rest on the bandsaw table during the cutting of the splices. ;)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...