Author Topic: Hackberry + Lightening  (Read 3424 times)

Offline BowJunkie

Hackberry + Lightening
« on: April 09, 2011, 05:07:36 pm »

My neighbor has a huge hackberry tree. the tree is about 50 ft tall, the trunk section is 3 ft across by 12ft tall  before the first limb.
This tree was struck by lightening last spring and hasn't sprouted since. The neighbor has expressed his desire to cut it down. ::)
And seeing is I have a 3 chain saws ;D
My question is ,, Is it possible to make bows from said tree trunk or not, due to the amount of electrical current the tree endured?
Johnny
in Texas

Offline stone-over

• rock-climber, jeweler, bowyer, student.
Re: Hackberry + Lightening
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 05:47:31 pm »
I think as long as it's not all charred or rotted, have at. If the structure of the wood had been compromised greatly, the thing probably would've fallen.
"Sing as you raise your bow, shoot straighter than before"

-Zeppelin

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 06:10:08 pm »
I would love to make a bow out of a tree that was struck with lightening.  Give it a try and see what happens.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 07:14:44 pm »
Just because it was struck by lightening won't hurt anything but I'd be leery of it if it was struck last spring and you're only cutting it now. I'd say help your neighbor out but check the wood well for discoloration or other signs of rot before building a bow with it. .
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline billy bowmaker

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 07:42:45 pm »
if the wood is sound, go for it.

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 12:01:38 am »
Robert Redford made a lightning-killed tree to make the most kick-butt baseball bat ever, and I think he got the girl besides!  That's proof enough for me!
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline DV IN MN

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 04:08:05 am »
Hackberry is a white wood: Name it "White Lightening"

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, 09:50:40 am »
    I cut down a elm back in 93 the trunk was good all but the side the lighting came up from the ground though it. It stood over a year before I cut it. I got 4 staves and made bows from them. Mine had a few wood boarers in it. But for some reason they were on the side where the lighting struck. Why I'm not sure,only one stave at holes in it. Can't say if they were any better shooting bows but they made good bows.
  So yea go for it HACKBERRY MAKES NICE BOWS. It's easey to work.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2011, 11:40:45 am »
Be very leery of lightning struck wood! I had a lightning struck cherry sawed up for flintlock gun stock blanks.

Later when I watered down the wood to keep it from checking this was what I found, tiny hairline cracks where the water seeped through.

It was like a bomb went off in the wood with the lightning strike. All I got out of that huge log was some nice firewood pieces 8' long 14" wide and 3" thick.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 11:44:25 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline BowJunkie

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2011, 12:06:38 pm »
Excellent point Eric, That was my concern. The wood instantaneously dehydrating due to the lightening strike and internal checking.
So end result... Carve out a stave and see how it casts.     White Lightening  is a Perfect name for a bow from this tree.
Thanks for the responses guys.  I am glad to be a part of this forum.

Johnny
in Texas

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2011, 04:10:21 pm »
"Hackberry is a white wood: Name it "White Lightening""

1000% Awesome.  ;D I think I heard growing up that indians (in general I guess, I don't know) would use lighting struck trees to make bows because they believed they made the best bows. Could just be some bs though.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2011, 06:17:58 pm »
As above , if its not burned the electricity hasnt harmed it, lightining struck wood is very special, a bow made from will be magical, many native tradtions highly valued such wood and believed it to have power. As do I......

Dave
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......