Author Topic: Heat treat w/ glued on handle???  (Read 2361 times)

Offline Canoe

• Progress - Not Perfection
Heat treat w/ glued on handle???
« on: April 09, 2011, 02:05:08 pm »
Howdy Group,

With this warmer, spring weather, I'm able to begin a few outside projects including a few bows.  I'm mostly lookn' at buildin' some Red Oak board bows.  (Although I have some Hickory, Ash, and Sugar Maple staves laying around.)

I'm wanting to give heat treating a try on these board bows, and I would like to induce some reflex in the process.  However, these board bows will have glued on handles (TiteBond 3), and I'm concerned about over heating the glue line and wondering if there is a possibility that the glue might let lose after it had been heated?

I know I don't have to heat the handle directly, but I'm sure I'd be getting close to the fades with the heat gun.

Your comments / suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much,
Canoe     
"Nature is a mutable cloud which is always and never the same."  - R. W. Emerson

"Wilderness is not a luxury, but a necessity of the human spirit."    -Edward Abbey

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Heat treat w/ glued on handle???
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 02:14:12 pm »
Maybe you could protect the handle glue joint with a damp rag while heat treating the belly.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Gordon

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 03:21:08 pm »
Stay away from the fades when using the heat gun - that's how I do it.
Gordon

Offline Barrage

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 05:43:23 pm »
I do the same as Gordon, along with a piece of wood to deflect the hot air away as I get close to the handle.
Travis

Offline Canoe

• Progress - Not Perfection
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 03:00:01 pm »
Howdy Group,

Thanks for the expert advise.  I'll carefully give heat treating a board bow a try.

Thanks again,
Canoe
"Nature is a mutable cloud which is always and never the same."  - R. W. Emerson

"Wilderness is not a luxury, but a necessity of the human spirit."    -Edward Abbey

Offline Orkraider

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 04:41:56 pm »
Let us know how that works out for you, and for me, I'd like some specifics on how you do it when it works right.

I build almost exclusively red oak board bows with glued on handles, and I'm interested in heat treating too.

Thanks!
Riley, Saint Paul, MN

Offline okie64

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 11:04:53 pm »
I've heat treated several hickory bows with glued on handles and it didnt hurt them. When I got close to the fades I moved the gun back and forth instead of lettin it sit pointing directly at them.