Author Topic: Weight Matching and What makes it a "matched set"?  (Read 2150 times)

Offline Diligence

Weight Matching and What makes it a "matched set"?
« on: April 13, 2011, 12:11:45 pm »
Hey team,

It's been a while since I've posted, but I'm wondering about something regarding what you all consider to be a "weight matched set" of arrows?

For example, in my case I have some wood shafted arrows that are 465 grains or so, with my cane going from 505 grains all the way up to 565 grains at the high end.  Arrow length varies from 29" to 32" or so to assist with dynamic spine, but otherwise everything is about the same.  I generally use the duplex nail heads now in my cane, with a sinew wrap.  I'm shooting these out of a 47# self bow, not centershot.

Question 1:
Do you use a 10% difference in weight, or 5% in your matched sets?  Just how close do you take it?  That is, how much differential in weight do you allow for with your "matched sets".

Question 2:
Do you require that the length of the arrows also be equal in your matched sets?  (I've just tried to keep the spine equal, and let the weight wander around a bit)

I suppose this is a bit like asking a '76 Dodge Charger fan to comment on the new Toyota hybrid, but figured I could live with all the different answers.

Cheers,
J
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Weight Matching and What makes it a "matched set"?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 12:52:46 pm »
Thanks for posting this.  I have the exact same questions. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 01:05:52 pm »
When I make a matched set, I try to keep the weights almost identical - less than 2% difference.  With spine I keep about 5%-10% difference, depending on the wood I'm using and how consistent it is.  For me, weight affects the arrow flight more than spine.  The fletching and length also has to be identical for my sets.

Some arrow makers from other countries don't even consider spine.  They match the arrows by size, length, and weight.

(By size, I mean shape and diameter of the arrow shaft.)

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 01:14:02 pm by jackcrafty »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline CraigMBeckett

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 11:21:50 pm »
I sort my shafts into spined lots at 5lb intervals, then when making up sets attempt to get as close to matched weights as possible, depending on the number of shafts I have of the required spine and the time I spend sanding them this can be within a few grains if the shafts are wood. Within any set I make all arrows are of the same length with the same point style and weight and all are fletched the same. if wooden shafts they are of the same diameter, if bamboo I try to select for similar diameter and similar numbers and positions of nodes. Weight matching is harder with bamboo as I have found great variation in weight for equivalent spine, but I always look for the best match in a set.

Craig.

Offline Diligence

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 11:47:37 pm »
Thanks so far fellows.

I agree with you Craig, I've seen a lot of variation in mass with the cane.  A couple of my shafts are small in diameter, but high in mass....go figure.

J
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline markinengland

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 08:24:45 pm »
I would say that a well matched set of arrows is one that is as good or better than the archer who shoots them. If they group as a set as well as the archer can group one arrow shot many times there isn't much point trying to match them any closer. How many archers shoot well enough to notice a 5 grain difference (1/3rd of a gram) between shafts?
If the shafts are all within the same 5# range and within 10 grains weight I would personally feel that when made arrows of the same length, same fletching, same point they will be matched better than I can shoot!