Author Topic: bow building grain orientation  (Read 24317 times)

Offline adb

Re: bow building grain orientation
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2011, 12:23:39 pm »
Hey, Craig
You have yourself a good day, and just carry on doin' what you're doin'!  :D :D ;)
Cheers.

Offline bow-toxo

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2011, 07:06:09 pm »

What makes you think Ascham was not required to practice?

Craig.
Craig—Ascham came under Hemry Viii’s rules [ I believe 33 Henry VIII ], which exempted “lame, decrepit or maimed” males as well as barons, clergymen, and perhaps judges as well as those over 60 years of age from compulsory practice. Not as all-inclusive as Edward III.   While Ascham was not required to, he nonetheless practised archery for health benefits attributed to shooting. Of course clergymen engaged in humting and even warfare with bows and arrows.
                                                                                                                             Erik

Offline CelticArcher

« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2011, 12:10:07 am »

CelticArcher,

Its your Tassie oak/ Vic ash/eucalyptus regnans bow I'm interested in, I would be interested in any info you have on the density of the particular wood you use as your wood must be far better than the Vic Ash/Tassie Oak I can get locally.

By the way how do you know its Eucalyptus Regnans as opposed to Eucalyptus Obliqua or Eucalyptus Deegatensis, All three are sold commercially as Vic ash or Tassie Oak.

Craig.

I couldn't give you an accurate figure on the density, but the timber I selected was one of the heavier ones out of the lot. I know it's E. Regnans because it was sold to me as "Mountain Ash", not just Tasmanian Oak:

Mountain Ash - E. Regans
Tasmanian Oak - E. Obliqua
Alpine Ash - E. Delegatensis

:)

Offline CraigMBeckett

« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2011, 04:50:23 am »
CelticArcher

I couldn't give you an accurate figure on the density but the timber I selected was one of the heavier ones out of the lot

Yes a stupid question,  but relative to the rest what percentage higher would you say it was?

I know it's E. Regnans because it was sold to me as "Mountain Ash", not just Tasmanian Oak:

Unfortunately both terms are used commercially for all three species, Tassie Oak when the timbers come from Tasmania and Mountain Ash or sometimes Victorian Ash when they come from Victoria or NSW, I would suggest that unless you know the person who processed it you cannot be sure.

Where is the photo and other info on the bow?

Erik

Ascham came under Hemry Viii’s rules [ I believe 33 Henry VIII ], which exempted “lame, decrepit or maimed” males as well as barons, clergymen, and perhaps judges as well as those over 60 years of age from compulsory practice. Not as all-inclusive as Edward III.   While Ascham was not required to, he nonetheless practised archery for health benefits attributed to shooting. Of course clergymen engaged in humting and even warfare with bows and arrows.

Still intrigued, as Ascham was not a baron, clergyman, judge or over 60 when he wrote the book, (he was only 30 when the book was published and 63 at his death), are you saying he was “lame, decrepit or maimed”?

adb,

Hey, Craig
You have yourself a good day, and just carry on doin' what you're doin'!

Now I know you don't really mean it, however I thank you anyway and reciprocate both the wishes and intentions and assure you I fully intend to do as you suggest.  O:) ::)

Craig.

Offline bow-toxo

« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2011, 02:29:32 pm »
Craig-- I am saying that Ascham was indeed a cllergyman as defined at that time.

Offline CraigMBeckett

« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2011, 10:57:43 pm »
Craig-- I am saying that Ascham was indeed a cllergyman as defined at that time.

He was a scholar (of Greek and I believe Latin as he was Latin secretary to a number of royals), a writer, acted as tutor to Elizabeth and also acted as a secretary to one of England's Ambassadors, appears to have been luke warm on protestantism but married, not a cleric by any definition of which I am aware, what definition are you using?

Craig

Offline bow-toxo

« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2011, 01:14:04 am »

He was a scholar (of Greek and I believe Latin as he was Latin secretary to a number of royals), a writer, acted as tutor to Elizabeth and also acted as a secretary to one of England's Ambassadors, appears to have been luke warm on protestantism but married, not a cleric by any definition of which I am aware, what definition are you using?

Craig
I have read that he was a member of the clergy. As we know, universities have a mediaeval origin and many colleges at mediaeval universities were restricted to members of the clergy who were one of the few groups who could read. Therefore they were often employed in book keeping and other clerical/clerk work as Ascham was. He specialized in Latin and Greek in which he tutored princess Elizabeth, and this level of accomplishment was almost entirely the province of the clergy. Scholars of that type were not bound by priests’ celibacy requirements. Ascham received a pension from the Archbishop of York as well as from Henry VIII. Despite his Protestantism, he survived employment under Queen Mary.

Erik

Offline CraigMBeckett

« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2011, 04:02:17 am »

Craig
I have read that he was a member of the clergy. As we know, universities have a mediaeval origin and many colleges at mediaeval universities were restricted to members of the clergy who were one of the few groups who could read. Therefore they were often employed in book keeping and other clerical/clerk work as Ascham was. He specialized in Latin and Greek in which he tutored princess Elizabeth, and this level of accomplishment was almost entirely the province of the clergy. Scholars of that type were not bound by priests’ celibacy requirements. Ascham received a pension from the Archbishop of York as well as from Henry VIII. Despite his Protestantism, he survived employment under Queen Mary.

Erik

Erik,

Thanks for telling me your thoughts, although I don't share them they are nevertheless interesting.

Celtic Archer,

Still waiting for photos of your Vic. Ash bow(s)! :)

Craig.

Offline Young Bowyer

• What is this?
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2011, 09:01:34 pm »
Eucalyptus bow, eh? Sounds interesting. Would love to see pictures  ;D

YB
"A man can be destroyed, but not defeated."
The old man from Ernest Hemingway's The Old Man And The Sea