Author Topic: My first bamboo backed bow  (Read 5443 times)

Offline bolsjedyr

My first bamboo backed bow
« on: April 28, 2011, 04:56:44 pm »
Hi folks!
A little smile from Denmark (DK) to all you crafty folks out there.
I've been watching your great work for a long time and here is finally my humble contribution.
This is my 6th. bow and my first one with bamboo.
It shoots nicely and, after a little adjustment of my style, I find it to be very plesant to shoot.
It has taken a bit of set, but holds a decent speed of 160ft/s with an arrow at about 400grains.
Not a hunting bow by danish standards, but ok for my current needs (hunting law in DK demands at least 40 Joule, so I'll need a bit more speed for hunting).

The back is bamboo, the belly is ipé, glued with hide glue and given a finish with shellac - the string is modern dacron, but I'll be makin a linnen string some other day.
Handle is kork and seal skin. The bow bends through the handle.
Length, nock-to-nock: 169cm (62.59")
draw length: 72cm (28.35")
45#

The pictures of my shooting style is from a 3d shooting area, where I whent shooting with friend of mine and his daughter for a whole day.

And the rest of the images are here: http://dklynx.wordpress.com/min-nye-bue/
(It's in danish by the way)

"If two men are to compete, it should be in archery. As they face the same direction, trying to accomplish the same goal, it is the most civilized of sports."
Confucius
If two men are to compete, it should be in archery. As they face the same direction, trying to accomplish the same goal, it is the most civilized of sports." Confucius

Offline ErictheViking

Re: My first bamboo backed bow
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 05:09:47 pm »
Welcome. Nice clean bow. seems to have excellent tiller(can't see upper limb in front of the evergreen tree), I think that is the first seal skin handle I have seen, pretty cool, seems it would be very comfortable. I'm impressed you used hide glue to bond the bamboo to the ipe. good work
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline half eye

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 07:23:08 pm »
That sir, is a very fine bow....6th or 60th nice gracefull profile.....and welcome aboard

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 07:24:23 pm »
nice bow, tiller look's great to me, good job, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 05:59:26 am »
Nice bow, welcome on PA!
Tiller looks as good as it gets!
Pics are not very detailed, but I would say you can reduce the tips way more; would give you more speed and less vibration!
Frank from Germany...

Offline DEllis

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 03:57:58 pm »
Very nice......especially for the #6........keep em coming :)
Slimmer tips would pick up some speed and reduce hand shock for sure.
Darcy
Darcy Ellis
Fort Fraser BC Canada eh!

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 09:38:35 pm »
Thats sweet !
Welcome to PA !!
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 05:05:09 am »
Very nice ELB style, I like to see them without the horn nocks for a change.
Lovely 'full compass' tillering.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline bolsjedyr

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 09:18:52 am »
Thank you for the replies and suggestions, good critique is the key to improvement.
Welcome. Nice clean bow. seems to have excellent tiller(can't see upper limb in front of the evergreen tree), I think that is the first seal skin handle I have seen, pretty cool, seems it would be very comfortable. I'm impressed you used hide glue to bond the bamboo to the ipe. good work
Sorry about the evergren - I would have taken a few new shots at home, but my camera lens started acting up with som "error 99" on my Canon, so it will have to wait  :-[
I like my bows clean and a bit rough - no high gloss polish and a simple handsection for Me. I can apreciate the beauty of it though - just prefer my own bows to be like that.
I used hide glue from rabbit and cleaned the surfaces two times with acetone - heated the surfaces before gluing (and got a bit more of the oil out of the ipé that way - not sure if that made any difference).

Nice bow, welcome on PA!
Tiller looks as good as it gets!
Pics are not very detailed, but I would say you can reduce the tips way more; would give you more speed and less vibration!
Very nice......especially for the #6........keep em coming :)
Slimmer tips would pick up some speed and reduce hand shock for sure.
Darcy
Thank you - That's interesting - I'll be trying slimmer tips next time for sure.
If two men are to compete, it should be in archery. As they face the same direction, trying to accomplish the same goal, it is the most civilized of sports." Confucius