Author Topic: river cane  (Read 24422 times)

Offline Lee Slikkers

Re: river cane
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2011, 05:07:32 pm »
Thanks Gut, still impatiently awaiting the mailman's delivery...  ::)

You said you prefer to line you blades/stone the same way, is it the same as the nock groove or 90 to that?

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

gutpile

« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2011, 05:34:43 pm »
actually mine are at a 45 to the nock.......they aren't all perfectly lined up either but darn close...I glue up my heads on the foreshaft before inserting in cane..so I try to get them fairly close but really depends on where the foreshaft lines up in cane to spin without a wobble..thats where they stay...I mark cane and foreshaft with a pencil line once they spin perfect..then I attach point..according to your pencil line it should be real close to that once the point is tied in..just keep tweaking till the shaft spins true with point attached...then glue it up...let dry then sinew foreshaft...when lineing up point on foreshaft you can visually get it lined up with no lean..your notch should be tight enough to allow you to spin foreshaft too....just get it lined up it will spin right...gut

gutpile

« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2011, 05:39:02 pm »
here is another batch...

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2011, 07:00:57 pm »
Those look so great!  Dang I need to learn how to knapp like that, those points are stellar!

I just got the DVD in the mail so off to watch!  Thanks!
~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2011, 01:09:10 pm »
Hey Gutpile, THANK YOU for the DVD referral...absolutely killer production.  I just finished it up and I am still belly laugh so hard at the clip at the end where he runs into the dude with a wheelie-bow all doctored up.  MRXDFERBS bow, 12 frequency deer alarm with a vibrator in his pants to wake him up, deer caller strapped to the bottom limb (complete with fart tune) and that self drawing 100lb with 150% let off must be a handy feature not to mention the 1800fps that puppy throws  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Good gawd man, too funny.  He may even have talked me into brain tanning my 1st deer this year...we'll see...anyway, wanted to say thanks and much appreciated!

~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

gutpile

« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2011, 11:35:17 am »
do you see how simple cane arrow building can be.....no need to make it hard like some people seem to do...brain tanning is some serious work bro.....TRUST ME!!!!...lol...take care...if you need anything let me know...Kirk

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2011, 12:13:46 pm »
Thanks Lirl, I have a dozen river cane shafts that I received on a trade a while ago so I have the shafts, I have collected 5 turkeys worth of feathers for fletching and have the sinew.  I also have some dried hardwood for fore-shafts so the only piece of the puzzle left for me would be the points. 

The arrow process looks very do able for me.

I know brain tanning can be a HUGE process, even seeing how he did made it look like work and I know he made the process seem fairly simply.  Labor intensive is all I've heard about concerning buckskin.  We'll see how much "go juice" I have in me when/if I take a deer this year with my gear.

Thanks again~
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline ajc

« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2011, 04:29:03 am »
sand them by hand with 80 grit file paper from autobody supply store belt sander digs too deep too fast