Author Topic: Takedown bow help please...  (Read 14315 times)

Offline Kountry83

Takedown bow help please...
« on: May 02, 2011, 12:12:37 pm »
Hey yall,

Im working on a take down bow riser, new at this and I was wanting some advice from yall. Its is a 16 inch riser.

Should I angle the limb pads or keep them straight  with a 0 degree angle becuz Im making my own limbs?
I really dont know but each pad will have 2 bolt holes each...

I want a 65 to 75 pound bow.
Please if you have any idea I would really appreciate it...first time and I know yall will help me, yall always do.
thank you

Kountry

Offline bubby

Re: Takedown bow help please...
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 02:07:28 pm »
here's how I did mine, if you're going with a flat limb go 0 deg or a very slight deflex, jmo, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Kountry83

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 02:27:47 pm »
I will post pics soon of the template I made, thank u. I really appreciate your input, it helps out alot!

Offline Kountry83

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 03:17:02 am »
Hi yall,

Any other ideas yall, just trying to get as much advice as I can to put this together right, like from the center line how far do I go up to rest my arrow and the difference between 0 degree limb pads to angled limb pads...ect. please it would be very helpful.

thank you
Kountry

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 05:32:44 am »
I would guess the reason for a little deflex is that the working limb length is short due to the length of the riser and the bolting/clamping area. The bit of deflex stops the limbs having to work quite so hard, it also couteracts the fact that the limbs are bolted on the back of the riser, taking them further forward.
Never actually made one, so I could be talking out of my backside.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 07:50:21 am »
kountry, del pretty much figured it out, least to my train of thought,I deflexed this one because of the recurved tips and the setback of the grip, still had lots of string tension plus I just designed it the way I wanted to ;D, put you're shelf up where you would on you're flatbow, I thick this one is 1 1/2". I layed a bow on the ground and traced the profile to get my angle for the limbs, hope that helped, Bub

Offline Kountry83

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 05:07:27 pm »
thanks yall but what would be the best angle of deflex to go with for alot of pounds for this 16 inch riser, I cant find anything on it and Ive been doing alot of research...

thanks again for yalls help I really appreciate it

Offline bubby

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 06:36:01 pm »
I don't think that the angle has very much to do with poundage,long bows are flat with high draw weights, if you're limbs are flat go very slight with the angleas it will act as set by deflexing the bow, the pads on my template angle 1/2" across the pads for a r/d bow, Bub

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 07:34:02 pm »
I know from my laminated bow days that the pad angle affects the string tension at brace, or basically how much the limbs are "loaded" at brace.  I made a takedown that very nearly had a slack string at brace.  That was a very poor performing bow.  I agree with Del too, but my advice when it comes to limb angle, less is better, but it depends on the design.  If you think about it; if deflex were great for making self bows perform well, we'd all be heat bending deflex in our bows.  But, nearly everybody heats in reflex unless they're building a laminated bow.  I would suggest that you design your takedown as though it were a one-piece bow and then figure out the attachment particulars that put the limbs in the correct position.

Good luck,
George
St Paul, TX

Offline Kountry83

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 07:47:47 pm »
whoah! nice bow bub, thanks yall for yalls advice, I will give that 1/2 inch angle a try, thanks alot everyone for the advice, very helpful! I really wanted to do a 0 degree and make it flat but I dont want to give the limbs too much tension becuz I dont want them to break...it would be nice to just make the limb pads straight instead of angled...

kountry

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 08:40:08 pm »
Sorry I'm a little late getting to this post !
The angle your fretting over is changed to allow for the length of the limbs to reach your targeted draw length .
The more deflex you give it the less distance your limbs will travel and more brace height it will take to preload the limbs !
Hope this helps   !!!
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline bubby

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 08:45:41 pm »
personally I think you should go no more than 3/16" or 1/4" and flip the tips, ya got to remember the longer the bow the more reflex your going to get, draw it out on the garage floor first and check it out, Bub

Offline Kountry83

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 09:01:50 pm »
great responses! I will write that down, still trying to learn since this is the first takedown bow. i am shooting for anywhere from 28 to 30 inch draw so I really dont know how long I should make my limbs...I want atleast 60 to 75 pound bow.

thanks again cant wait to hear back from yall....

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2011, 05:52:13 pm »
... so I really dont know how long I should make my limbs...I want atleast 60 to 75 pound bow.

thanks again cant wait to hear back from yall....
Remember if you make 'em a bit long you can cut 'em down. Make 'em too short and you are severely incommodiated  ;)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.