Author Topic: pressure flaking question  (Read 1517 times)

Offline iowabow

pressure flaking question
« on: May 06, 2011, 08:40:31 am »
I noticed with the new material I have been working that the copper size make a difference. If I work a point with the same large dia copper tool the platform starts to have a small step in the valley of the flake.  The stress must be to great for the small platform. My question is when should I switch to the smaller tools.  What sign am I looking for.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Tower

Re: pressure flaking question
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 10:05:48 am »
Personally I think it kinda depends on the rock. I use my pressure flaker at an angle to my platforms not straight in. this helps me keep the bulbs to a minimum. But not everyone uses the same technique.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline iowabow

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 11:46:50 am »
ok so at an angle the flake produces a smaller bulb.  I noticed that when I push in hard and take a larger part of the platform that the ridges kinda have a dip. If i pressure flake that ridge it will hinge so i take that one at an angle and with light pressure or abrade toward it. It would be great to hear how others do it!
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 12:35:47 pm »
The general rule of thumb is small tool, small flake and big tool, big flake.  But you can get small flakes with a big tool by using less force and big flakes with a small tool by using more force.  Using more force will cause a higher amount of breakage.

I switch to smaller tool when I want smaller flakes.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

JustinNC

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 03:48:57 pm »
Not to high jack, but thanks to Saw Filer and Sailordad, Ive got to where a can shoot some flakes of decent length...but when I shoot them to a high spot, they get paper thin, and I'm still as proportionately thick as I was before I took the flake, just a little thinner, and a little narrower in width....how to I get UNDER those high spots? Take a deeper bite on my platform, yet still below center?

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 07:38:35 pm »
You don't get under the high spot.  You attack it from different directions and overlap the flakes.  The overlap is what takes off the high spot.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

JustinNC

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 08:04:04 pm »
That thought hit me about mid afternoon lol. Thanks for the confirmation Patrick

JustinNC

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2011, 12:08:49 am »
Worked lol. Had a nasty hinge on a high spot. Ground it down...shhhhh...and came at it from a couple different angles. Went right down. Now, if I could just keep from snapping them while pressure finishing. Messed up by putting it on the rubber rather than on the soft pad.