Author Topic: Dancing with the beast  (Read 2736 times)

JustinNC

Dancing with the beast
« on: May 08, 2011, 07:46:54 pm »
 Ok maybe slow dancing. Went for a Hardaway as it is representative of the rock. Some haaard rhyolite. I had decent symmetry until I realized the notches needed to be deeper and ears shorter. It had ears about 2x that long and looked goofy. Quit while I was ahead. Key to it I found, was heavy platforms (grind grind grind) and shallow bites. Patrick's indirect percussion at first to shape the flake the pressured the majority. Wish the flake scars would show but soon as you touch it the blend in.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Dancing with the beast
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 08:18:57 pm »
I like it, nice point with some crappy rock, Justin.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 09:08:57 pm »
well would you look at that
rhyolite CAN be knapped
good for you
keep at it,next year at the classic you can show the rest of us how to knap that rhyolite
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

JustinNC

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 09:53:12 pm »
Thanks Eddie and Tim. It behaved extremely well and predictable when pressure flaking. Its that same concrete I had at the classic.

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 10:33:03 pm »
That looks good man.
 Im going to hunt some crappy TN rock tomorrow.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline wvbowhntr

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 10:36:37 pm »
 looks good to me, im learning some tough wv rock i hear its similar to rhoyalite.
As for me and my house we will serve The Lord.  Greg in WV

JustinNC

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 11:05:01 pm »
Jesse, I'll tell ya what, I'll round up all the high quality north carolina candy,send it to you, AND send you postage for whatever you find tomorrow that will go into a flat rate box. I'd hate for you to have to live with yourself after spending the time and energy on finding that rock, only to find out what I have is superior ;)

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 12:19:15 am »
Let me know when you find the green butter :)
Its there you just have to find it.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline Ncsnipe

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 12:34:56 am »
Good looking point Justin!  I haven't tried the indirect percussion yet but will on smaller pieces in the future. Send me an address Justin and I'll send a couple pieces of my rhyolite to see if it's better or worse than yours.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 12:38:22 am »
Justin, that point looks good. It would do well on a cane arrow..well done.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

JustinNC

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 12:50:03 am »
Anything is better than this stuff snipe. It's barely knappable. Consistent, but barely knappable. I have some dark stuff that does alright.

Jesse it's out there but where, I don't know.

Offline Hardawaypoints

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2011, 09:36:12 am »
Anything is better than this stuff snipe. It's barely knappable. Consistent, but barely knappable. I have some dark stuff that does alright.

It is getting hard to find.  I still have a bit of high-grade grey/green, though I'd like to find a new source before I bust all of it up.  Construction sites and cutovers have yielded the most rhyolite for me over the years.  There's just not as much of that going on as it used to be.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

JustinNC

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2011, 10:54:44 am »

It is getting hard to find.  I still have a bit of high-grade grey/green, though I'd like to find a new source before I bust all of it up.  Construction sites and cutovers have yielded the most rhyolite for me over the years.  There's just not as much of that going on as it used to be.

Jim

I have a couple ideas of where to look, I just don't know if it's there. I'd like to have some, but then again, wouldn't we all?

If it's anything like they "Kentucky rhyolite" (green hornstone it was??)DHL had, then I want some. What little end crust I could grab that had a little meat left inside seemed to work really well....atleast until my ishi sliped and gouged a big chunk out of a thin spot and turned it into a drill lol.

I just wished I knew then (back when I worked in the Uwharries and hunted there too) what I know now. I would have stood a good chance at finding the elusive green butter.