Author Topic: Pressure flaking  (Read 1018 times)

Offline LEGIONNAIRE

Pressure flaking
« on: May 10, 2011, 04:07:06 am »
Hi fols just needed dome help with pressure flaking. How do you drive of longer pieces when flaking? I seem to get round flakes as oppose to the long flakes that fo all the way to the middle. Thanks
CESAR

LEGIONNAIRE ARCHERY

Offline Tower

Re: Pressure flaking
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 09:01:31 am »
I would really have to see how your doing it now. With that said flakes like to follow ridges. Try using a continuous platform,use the previous flakes ridge scar and repeat it all the way down the point. Experiment with pressure & an Ishi stick really helps.Remember it is very difficult, almost impossible to flake through a concavity.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

JustinNC

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 10:58:25 am »
I did the same thing until I watched Saw Filer for a few days and asked lots of simple, dumb questions. Questioned about every thing he did, why he was grinding this way, why he was taking this flake instead of that one...I wouldnt say I learned how to, but I did get to see him put "english" on a flake. That was interesting...and I only thought flakes went the direction pressure was applied directly.  :P

Hardest thing for me to get was not just taking flakes of opportunity, but making sure I had a good edge to work with and making sure my edge (platform) was close to the surface I wanted to take the flake from. Hard to take a long flake from a steep platform and hard to take one from a surface that has concavities on it.

Offline LEGIONNAIRE

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 01:48:51 pm »
thanks for the replies. i think i need to get a better angle on the rock ans abrade it probably. ill give different things a try and let you know how it turns out. thankyou guys.
CESAR

LEGIONNAIRE ARCHERY