Author Topic: gators! am i missing something here?  (Read 2571 times)

Offline recurve shooter

gators! am i missing something here?
« on: May 09, 2011, 01:26:25 pm »
ok i know why gators were originaly protected, and it was for good cause. but trust me, these fellas are FAR from threatened down here anymore. i see far more gators that deer, rabbits, or even squirrels in my neck of the woods. i came on here and started blabbing without doing my research, but i believe the only way to get gator tags is to own an area of swamp land and you get so many tags per acre. my question is why the heck cant the average fella take one or two per year? i mean i know that if every hunter out there was taking them, they would be depleted again in no time, but if the folks that live in or near gator country could have one or two tags per year, it would make things much more interesting. i mean why is a big animal that is just as common as deer down here so heavily protected when everyone can take six of the relativly sparse deer????

again im sure one of you guys can clear this up, but it just dont make any sence to me.  ???
lets just shoot it

HatchA

Re: gators! am i missing something here?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 01:57:48 pm »
Interesting topic!

I *acquired* an episode of Redneck Adventures TV Show where they're boating around at night in a swampland, handgrabbing frogs up out of the water.  They grab a couple of 'gators too.  Are they allowed to do that?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 02:19:11 pm »
 I'm putting in for my permits this week.It is fairly easy to get one here. It allows you to take two gators in Florida.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 07:18:48 pm »
hatchA, im not completly sure, but i dont think you can do that. i know you cant kill them without tags, but i dont know about just grabbing them, although i can only imagine its illegle.  ??? i dont really know lol.
lets just shoot it

Offline Kegan

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 07:36:32 pm »
Where are you?

Different states have different regulations. Like Eddie said, I believe FL lets you apply for tags regardless of whether you "own gator land" or not.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 11:32:21 pm »
Georgia and SC have lottery-type drawings for alligator permits. You don't even have to be a resident to get one if you have money. As far as I know, you can't legally kill a gator here in NC.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 12:45:35 am »
South Carolina's draw is open now until June 15th.  There will be 1200 tags this year.  Plus they are offering a special WMA tag also.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 01:00:08 am »
Hatch, the way the permits work in Florida is I pay about $260 for the permit and "two helpers" pay about $50 for a helpers permit. Most people here charge around a thousand dollars to take a "tourist " for those permits plus tips. I don't play that game, I hunt for meat and nobody will buy a hide under 8' here.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 03:37:25 am »
im in south louisiana. i never bothered to look it up before  i came on here throwin a hissy fit, so i'll do that soon. im sure they have a lottery for it, so i'll find it and see what i can do with that. thanks for all the info guys. but its midnight and im up early to pack up my gear, random squirrel season is open here till the end of this month, so ima take the bp rifle out and see what i can pop, soo i'll look up the tag lotto info when i get back from that lol. ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 04:24:29 am »
Northwest Florida is full of them to,,as far as I know we cant take them either. More gators than squirrells,,,,dont make sense to me
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does