Author Topic: Local woods experiments, starting with hazel (CHERRY done)  (Read 18283 times)

Offline nathan elliot

Re: Local woods experiments, satarting with hazel.tiller help please.
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2011, 06:41:58 pm »
I have had no luck at all with Hazel. So all I can say is it looks good to me, mine all got compression fractures :-[

Offline dwardo

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2011, 10:14:17 am »
Right o chaps,

Tillered out to 26 where its pulling about 45lb, bottom limb has since been scraped a little as it was a little too stiff. Hoping to pull it out to 28.5/29 for my draw so hopefully maybe 50lbs? Hazel seems capable of more i think.
I think i am the only person who can pick a humpy bumpy bit of hazel! The limb with the bump has a little deflex and so far its only taken less than an inch of set. I also heat treated and flipped the tips as Gordon the hazel guru suggested. Just have to sand her a bit before shooting her in for a while and maybe pull the string over a little. I like hazel so far but its not finshed yet so ill keep shtum. If it makes it through that lot i have some antler overlays to sort out the temp nocks.

my camer work is a poor so evened up the shot

bumps n humps

« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 11:58:02 am by dwardo »

Offline dwardo

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2011, 10:34:55 am »
Just as a foot note, Hazel is shockingly fast! :)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2011, 11:47:02 am »
Drat, my Hazel I'm working on has chrysalled :( I went a bit too narrow and a bit overdid the heat treatment I think. I'll press on and see how it shoots.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2011, 11:57:07 am »
Drat, my Hazel I'm working on has chrysalled :( I went a bit too narrow and a bit overdid the heat treatment I think. I'll press on and see how it shoots.
Del

Sorry Dell, that sucks mate. Is it an all over chrysal or just an oops local to one area chrysal?

Offline TBod

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2011, 02:16:31 pm »
Nice bow! Tiller looks perfect.

Hazel and Wych Elm is my favorite woods. For some reason I never had much trouble with Hazel, like I have had with other woods. It seems almost an indestructible wood to me!

Go Hazel!

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2011, 03:20:00 pm »
Del

Sorry Dell, that sucks mate. Is it an all over chrysal or just an oops local to one area chrysal?
There's at least two of 'em on the lower limb about 4" apart, that shows I'm spreading the load fairly evenly I s'pose ::)
I'll get a string on it tomorrow and give it a good workout, see what happens. I may need a crotch protector as it's on the lower limb :o.
Del

Offline dwardo

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2011, 05:47:14 pm »
Just a duff bit of wood then :( How long was it seasoned out of curiosity? The bit i had was only a few months roughed out indoors.

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2011, 06:03:26 pm »
looking mighty fine Dwardo, good work. I have a stave of hazlenut I am hoping to start on this summer.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline nathan elliot

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2011, 07:33:09 pm »
I just finished a really nice hazel bow, shot in no bother started to think about a handle and blow me if it didn't start to get compresion fractures. One is so bad I had to give up on this bow. This is my 5th hazel drop out. Mine shot real nice for a couple of hundred arrows, go figure ???

Offline dwardo

« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2011, 01:49:31 pm »
Nearly there! Teaser pics :)

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2011, 02:57:50 pm »
LOve that dye job. looks real nice
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2011, 05:12:01 am »
That looks great, not too short, not too narrow, just right <click 'Goldilocks Mode' OFF>
The one I made is shooting ok despite the chrysal and hasn't taken any set, bottom limb has gone a tad weak but it's obviously nearly right ::). (close but no cigar)
Maybe Hazel needs a bit of safely factor built in, but then we all like to push the timber, I feel I gotta make another just to prove my decent ones weren't a fluke :D.
C'mon where's the full draw shot eh? eh?
Del

Offline nathan elliot

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2011, 05:57:32 am »
Nice stain job! I sure hope she turns out ok, looks like a good few hours went into this one!

Nathan

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2011, 10:00:58 am »
   The hazels I've built I over built. Any exture stress you will get chrysalizz. So I made mine all in the mid 60's. It surprizenly light in the hand and mine were really snappy and fast. If it wern't for OSAGE AND HICKORY it would'nt be in the #3.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING