Author Topic: Local woods experiments, starting with hazel (CHERRY done)  (Read 18202 times)

Offline dbb

Re: Local woods experiments, starting with hazel (CHERRY done)
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2011, 05:33:48 pm »
Nice one!
I think the tips are padouk,that red ember glow seems familiar,i made some knifehandles from it.
If it smells aromatic and a touch of vanilla when sanded its what it is.

/Mikael
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline dwardo

« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2011, 06:31:42 am »
It did smell quite nice but was a very fine dust that got everywhere  :o so i guess your right. Thanks.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2011, 03:52:13 pm »
That Cherry does look nice, you call it 'black cherry' dunno what the cherry is on Harlow's cycle tracks, prob some fancy Japanese stuff grown for it's blossom rather than it's bow making properties.
BTW, It's interesting you put the slight deflex limb at the top, if I have one with slight deflex I put it at the bottom, then everyone (including Robert Hardy!) tells me the lower limb is weak >:(. I'm still a bit iffy on the strong lower limb thing, as long as it looks even at full draw I'm happy.
Del
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 03:57:54 pm by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2011, 09:34:29 am »
That Cherry does look nice, you call it 'black cherry' dunno what the cherry is on Harlow's cycle tracks, prob some fancy Japanese stuff grown for it's blossom rather than it's bow making properties.
BTW, It's interesting you put the slight deflex limb at the top, if I have one with slight deflex I put it at the bottom, then everyone (including Robert Hardy!) tells me the lower limb is weak >:(. I'm still a bit iffy on the strong lower limb thing, as long as it looks even at full draw I'm happy.
Del

Missed this post dell,,
Its just the usual prunus avium stuff you see everywhere, tricky bit is finding a bit long enough without a load of radial branches. I have another that should make atleast 2 bows but that was one of only 2 suitable saplings from 100`s. Just part way through a bow from my favourite wych elm so will post that when i am back from the woods. Like i say if you ever find your self up this way be sure to let me know and we can trade ;) I am off to a friends wood for a few days where there is a load of ash, elm, hazel and massive cherry so will drag a few back if i have the energy.

Offline wild ways

« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2011, 06:11:08 pm »
Hi Dwardo,

I have my eye on a beautiful piece of cherry (Prunus avium) on a site not a million miles away from you... I will let you know if/when I acquire it! It should be good for a couple of staves at least! Having said that, I've got my eye on some bird cherry (P. padus) too! I cut some English elm  (Ulmus procera) today. one of the staves may have your name on it! By the way... sorry for the botanical names, but I'm a Countryside Ranger, so it's in my blood!

I've been lurking on here for a while... time to take some pics of my first yew ELB (made with much help and advice from Dwardo).

Happy days!

Offline wild ways

« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2011, 06:24:20 pm »
Hi,

Must keep my eye open for some hazel!... I may have some somewhere!

By the way, you'll just have to come and check out the woods near me... ash, elm and yew EVERYWHERE!!!!

I hope to get out to Dave's wood sometime soon....

I'll give you a bell!

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2011, 03:06:37 am »
Nice bow, nice dye job!
Frank from Germany...

TurtleCreek

« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2011, 05:34:41 am »
Beautiful finish, good job!

Offline dwardo

« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2011, 09:16:48 am »
Hi,

Must keep my eye open for some hazel!... I may have some somewhere!

By the way, you'll just have to come and check out the woods near me... ash, elm and yew EVERYWHERE!!!!

I hope to get out to Dave's wood sometime soon....

I'll give you a bell!

Get the pictures up! Lovely bow especially for your first, yew learn quick lol. Here is a taster ;)

So liitle time to do anything lately, must pull my finger out.