Author Topic: yew longbow (added a video shooting her in)  (Read 7999 times)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: yew longbow (added a video shooting her in)
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2011, 05:51:08 am »
Nice vid, looks sweet.
Sometimes seeing it actually draw shows much much more than the static pics. last bow I had looked like it was stiff at one point, but watching someone else pull it really showed that 'stiff' area was unwinding nicely.
If I had to be be really really picky I'd say the outer half of the lower limb doesn't seem to be flexing much. Ok ok I know everyone likes stiff tipped bows...and everyone likes a stiffer lower limb... :'(
Could be just me, but if you are wanting to take a pound or two off the weight, it may be worth looking there.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Gaur

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2011, 11:34:36 am »
Thanks again Del.  I've ground the horn tips off now and am putting new ones on and I've reduced that tip a bit as is was overbuild to start with. Also sanded the whole bow which I'm hoping drops a few pounds.
"...He made me a polished arrow and hid me in His quiver." Is 49:2

Offline snag

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2011, 12:20:39 pm »
Looks like it really throws an arrow! You could do some aerial shooting at some of those BIG bugs.  ;D
Is. 49:2 ....He made me a polished arrow and concealed me in His quiver.

Offline DEllis

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2011, 03:31:41 am »
Great bow..............AWESOME COFFEE ;D
Darcy
Darcy Ellis
Fort Fraser BC Canada eh!

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2011, 04:01:37 pm »
very nice Gaur, seems to draw and shoot smoothly.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline Gaur

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2011, 10:51:26 pm »
Here's a few more pictures of the bow as I've done more tillering and re did the horn nocks and started putting tru oil on her

2 coats so far

I am pulling 64# now at 29".  A little bit more manageable for me but still a lot of bow. 
Bottom limb is 1/2" longer and seems to effect the tiller and trying to get them to look the same but its pretty close now.  I'm going to go shoot her a bunch and see how she is now.  Got to put a strike plate on as the arrows leave a mark in the yew there.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2011, 11:37:27 am »
yeah, I reckon that little bit of work has made it look much better, the fuller draw makes a nicer curve too.
Really good looking bow, interesting to see the longer lower limb...I sometimes wonder if we ge tied into makin' stuff too much the same sometimes.
I'd love to shoot a few with that bow for certain :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Gaur

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2011, 12:58:00 pm »
Thanks Del. The lower limb being longer was sort of an accident but someone said that ELB often had longer lower limbs. Haven't had anyone else confirm that.  I'm looking forward to flinging a bunch of arrows tomorrow night at the range to see how the new tiller works

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2011, 01:29:40 pm »
Guar, what a fantastic bow...I really love the idea of a take down on the ELB and with the horn on the tips and at the handle really tie the whole bow together.  I bet by the time you get the last coat of Tru Oil on her you won't be able to put her down  ;D...I know I couldn't.

LOVE the coffee image too, very, very cool.

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~