Author Topic: Splittin' Elm (with pictures)  (Read 4380 times)

Offline cracker

Re: Splittin' Elm (with pictures)
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2011, 11:38:45 am »
Cam I usually start with a hatchet at the end driven into the but of the log then a lag bolt just past the end of the blade and then every three or four inches or so. then a wedge between the bolts. Don't rush give the wood time to smap cracle and pop. them more bolts, then more beer. Before you know it you can start cutting the fibres to seperate the halves. Quarters can usually be done with wedges unless the log is really large. Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2011, 12:31:29 pm »
I can't begin to count how many logs I have kerfed with a circular saw.  I always keep a good strong hold of the saw and if you get a bad kickback then you are obviously holding it wrong and/or too loose of a grip.  With a whole log you should kerf both sides of it, that will make splitting much easier
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Granite Mtn

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2011, 02:01:37 am »
I have never understood why people would split elm or osage.  The following the grain thing only holds water till you make a couple bows then you realize at 2 1/2 to 3 in wide you still have plenty of room to follow the grain and it goes soooooo much faster if you just rip with a sharp chain saw.  And yes I have split skill sawed and cursed many a stave.  Now I only use chain saws, I wish some one had told me this twenty years ago.
Chris