Author Topic: I got Edjakated today.  (Read 7013 times)

Offline Wasatchhawk

I got Edjakated today.
« on: May 27, 2007, 03:58:28 am »
I spent the whole day with Dan Perry talking Bow making. He passed a lot of information to me.  He is just one of the nicest people you have ever met. He looked at my all my boards and I knew he was thinking "we're in trouble"  But didn't say anything because he is too nice.

I was surprised that he choose the hickory over the red oak that had perfectly parallel grain on all edges of the board.  Even the ends were nearly parallel because of the size of the tree it was cut from.  The hickory had some run offs on the edge of the board, that we ended up treating with kid gloves.

We choose a bendy handled pattern because of my size and the board was only 6.5 feet.  we laid the pattern out and I cut out half after Dan showed me the first half.  Dan cut down the thickness and we took turns smoothing that out. Dan would put the stick on the tillering tree and ask me "Where's it bending?"  "where does it go flat?"  I would mark the limb and he would remove the wood. One of the most valuable things I learned from him tonight is his perspective of the relationship of looking for the hinge or bend first and then the flat section next to it.

Turns out my Draw on this "Flat Handled" bow is 29 1/2 inches and the draw weight ended up 51.5 pounds. But I gotta tell you this baby draws nice! It slams the arrow to mark and the hand shock on this 72" NTN bow is more like a wobble.  It's 1 3/4 wide at the fades and tapers to 3/8 tips.

Dan gets credit for this bow, because he did all the sensitive wood removal himself.  My graduation depends on teaching this to my son, while making a twin of this bow.  That bow I can call my own and show whether or not I learned anything.

Wow what an awsome Day. The sunburn might be worth it. ;)
A Family that Preys together stays together!

Offline medicinewheel

Re: I got Edjakated today.
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 04:10:08 am »

hey man, what's that supposed to be?? ....where are the pictures???????????????????  ;D ;D ;D ;D

sounds really good what you are telling!

cheers, frank
Frank from Germany...

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 08:32:40 am »
Yer a lucky man to be able to learn from such an experienced bowyer.

Dana
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2007, 10:02:49 am »
Dan, is an outstanding gentleman. I am glad he got a chance to pass  it on to such an enthusiastic student. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Wasatchhawk

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 09:43:45 pm »
Sorry, I got pulled away for last minute camping. Here are some pic's  This bow has taken very little set after 50 shots.  Set is 1 1/4.

[attachment deleted by admin]
A Family that Preys together stays together!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 09:56:35 pm »
It's a great bow and beautifully tillered. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007, 11:36:31 pm »
Sounds like your first education was, that hickory is very forgiving and a perfect stave is not necessary.  That is a fine looking bow.  You are way ahead of the game by getting Dan to teach you.  Now go make some more.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2007, 11:47:18 pm »
Very nice, simple bow. Nice bend and clean lines. ;)    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2007, 02:29:08 pm »
Nice looking bow, tiller looks really good.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2007, 06:08:24 am »
Sweet looking bow,nice tiller also. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2007, 04:39:50 am »

hey that's a good start! tiller looks really good.

frank
Frank from Germany...