Author Topic: Different types of TiteBond Glues  (Read 5115 times)

Offline BowJunkie

Different types of TiteBond Glues
« on: May 20, 2011, 12:02:11 pm »
What is the difference between TiteBond, TiteBond II, and TiteBond III ????
I started out making bows with Titebond and somewhere along the line ended up using Titebond III
Now I just stick to TBIII. Any suggestions?
Johnny
in Texas

Offline aaron

Re: Different types of TiteBond Glues
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 12:17:39 pm »
i think it's basically more warerproof as you go up in #'s. also different chemistry...
Original Titebond...Aliphatic Resin. Never used it but it must be like Elmers.
Titebond II...Crosslinked polyvinyl acetate. Water resistant. I've had some experiences that bear that out. lower shelf life than III
Titebond III...Polymer. WaterPROOF. You can believe it.

Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 01:22:40 pm »
http://www.bowyersedge.com/glue.html   14th or 15th paragraph down Dean says titebond has a stronger bond than II but II is more water resistant.  actually the rest of the article is good info for most other glues. the article was written before titebond III so no info on that. hope this helps.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 01:52:12 pm »
good article eric
thanks for posting
wild women don't get the blues

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 02:32:02 pm »
More than welcome, his site is pretty cool. A very well rounded fountain of knowledge.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline PeteC

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 05:40:37 pm »
 Titebond III is all I use.I like the other Titebonds as well ,but #3 is waterproof,and It's never failed me.I use it for tip overlays,handle add-ons,backing,and repairs.I even use it to put a thin coating over sinew on arrows to waterproof them . I'm sold on it. JMHO God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 06:22:21 pm »
I have always wondered about the tighbond liquid hide glue in the brown bottle?
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 07:49:03 pm »
Any of the Titebond carpenters glues work well for bows. If you seal your finished bow well waterproof or not shouldn't matter. You would really have to soak your bow for a long time for it to effect the glut. Heat would be more of a problem because all the TB glues will release at 150deg(F). A bow sitting in a closed car or leaning against a tree in the sun would be more detrimental to your bow it TB glue is used.
  TB Liquid Hide Glue is good if you get it before it's shelf life runs out. I believe it has additives added that effect the shelf life and if old it will take a long time to set.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Marlin

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 11:50:20 pm »
I am glad you brought up this subject. I was at Lowes today debating on witch glue to buy TB I, II or III. I guesed I could not go wrong with III. :D

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2011, 12:06:07 am »
I believe as the numbers went up, it indicated more water resistants. But, I don't think that everybody realized that it actually takes a lot longer for curing time.

It may seem hard on the surface after glueing with TB3, but it has actually sealed the glueing off surface from the air. It yakes quiet awhile for all the glue to go clear and kinda amber in color.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2011, 11:06:30 pm »
Generally I only use TB 2 or TB 3.  I like the 2 for work that I want a quick set.  And the 3 for work that I want a little more working time with.  Also the 3 is more water resistant. 
Traverse City, MI