Author Topic: Corrections before putting on finish?  (Read 2026 times)

Offline snag

Corrections before putting on finish?
« on: May 24, 2011, 12:29:07 pm »
So, I've tillered this osage bow. Then shot it in for around 60-80 arrows. Then sanded, steel wooled, and burnished it. Then rechecked tiller. It has 1/4" positive tiller and looks good to me. But there is quite a bit of string set....the limbs are curved as in "bowed" when not strung. Should I just go with this or should I go back to heat treating and straightening the limbs again? Or is this just normal? When I set the tips (belly facing table) on a table top and measure up to the belly side of the handle it is 1.25" and 2.5" to the back or front of the handle.
Is. 49:2 ....He made me a polished arrow and concealed me in His quiver.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Corrections before putting on finish?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 12:34:07 pm »
IMO...Finish it off David. That is from compressed wood on the belly and its there for good. An 1 1/4" follow isnt bad at all.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 12:38:31 pm »
IMO...Finish it off David. That is from compressed wood on the belly and its there for good. An 1 1/4" follow isnt bad at all.

It's 1 1/4" from the belly side of the handle, 2 1/2" overall.

If you like it finish it off. If you'd like a little more speed pike it, sinew/temper it, and retiller. That's about all I can think of?

Offline snag

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 02:36:08 pm »
Thanks guys. Having already heat treated the limbs to straighten them I think I'll finish this one. I an happy with it's speed and cast.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 02:50:45 pm »
Once those wood fibers are compressed on the belly it cant be un-done. Enjoy your bow and shoot alot David!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 05:31:39 pm »
Finish and enjoy your new bow. :)Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline snag

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 06:06:03 pm »
Will do! I've been loving it so far. It is quite a shooter! I'll put some layers of Tru-oil on and then wrap the handle. I'm thinking that the back of the handle, being it is flat, would benefit from a handle like John Strunk makes. Are there tutorials on how to make these?  Thanks, David