Author Topic: Glue on power lam first?  (Read 1905 times)

Offline bigcountry

Glue on power lam first?
« on: May 24, 2011, 04:39:43 pm »
 have built a IPE/Boo with power lam 2 years ago. I had some trouble with the intersection point of the power lam/boo/IPE. Used TBIII Bad glue lines. Filled with CA glue, and sinew wrapped. I glued it all up at once. Had a tough time getting the power lam centered, and wrap the whole mess with inner tubes.

Starting a BBO and this time considering glueing down the power lam first, sanding into the osage for nice smooth transition, then URAC the Boo or hickory on.

Any ideas?
Westminster, MD

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: Glue on power lam first?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 05:15:49 pm »
sounds like a good plan.  I also always have trouble transitioning the power lam into the belly lam to where the backing strip will lay down right with no gaps.  Might have to give that a try on my next one.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 07:26:04 pm »
Well, I will let ya know how it goes.
Westminster, MD

Grunt

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 10:09:13 pm »
I always taper the 16" power lam from the center to paper thin at the ends. I take a sharpie and mark the center along with the center of the boo and center of the O. When everything is coated with glue I stack everything up with the boo face down on saw horses. I then take masking tape and run two bands about three inches on each side of the center mark to hold everything in place. Two more bands of tape are wound where the lam fades to paper thin and two more about six inches from the ends of the blank. I then stretch wrap the whole glue up and clamp it into a re/de form. I place maybe thirty clamps and I make sure to put a big one on each of my masking tape bands. I use Urac and a hot box to cure. Masking tape is great for keeping everything in place while glueing up.