Author Topic: hide glue  (Read 1391 times)

Offline wally

hide glue
« on: June 03, 2011, 06:26:55 am »
while sinew backing a Hupa type bow I made a new batch of hide glue up ready for weekend. However in the pot, after cooling, it has not gone hard, instead it is soft, malleable like jelly.
I think you call, what we call jam, jelly, but it's not that.
I mean the texture of jelly, as in gelatine based sweet or pudding as we call it, like you have in trifle. Not blancmange but jelly.
I hope you understand me :-\
What went wrong with my hide glue?   
and hey! Let's be careful out there

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: hide glue
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 10:40:07 am »
Is it sticky ? How long has it set,it take a while for it to get hard ,especially if it was pretty thin to start with. I have had it stay in the pot for several day and get like jello.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline JonW

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 11:51:25 am »
Try pouring it out on a cookie sheet or something like that. It may help if it is in a thinner layer.

Offline wally

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 12:03:01 pm »
I've just tried it again, and in the hot sun it has lost its bendiness,is soft and very sticky now?
It's only about 1/8" thick (small batch for patching).
It's been left for two days.
Could be too fine a mixture of glue and water?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 12:38:09 pm by wally »
and hey! Let's be careful out there

Offline fusizoli

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 12:41:23 pm »
Two things could happened. U not made enough concentrate less 10% is not enough for sinewing. If U live in a warm  humid place, may have some fungus in the corners u not know, so this could indicate a fast decay and the glue from gel going to be liquid.

Thats not good for bows, make a new one. Make a new one al the time. For a day or two it could be ok in the fridge.

The third thing is, if there was some salt in the pot. The salt make the glue liquid, but it works! Just a bit less strong as the normal.
Vinegar do the same. I wouldn't use that on a bow too.