Author Topic: osage molly warbow (now with pictures)  (Read 16121 times)

Offline fusizoli

Re: osage molly warbow
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2011, 06:02:16 pm »
This bows was not so big and heavy weight originaly. But from all kind of bow design schould make a "warbow"

That time the hunting bow was the weapon in the war. Whitout armour they doesn't need the heavy warbows as Nidrinr mentioned.

I think for a heavy warbow the longbow design is better on this drawlenght. On a 28-29 draw may a pyramidal flatbow is better.
On a molly the lever end of the bow have to build enough strong to handle this weight. That will indicate to much weight and this bow designed for light weight tips. So my opinion is a pyramidal design will be faster.

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2011, 11:21:52 pm »
ya, i agree, the levers will defiantly decide the final weight, well i guess ill just have to see, by the way, i should have some progress tonight along with the white ash so check back on both later
noel
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline johnston

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2011, 11:45:18 pm »
Noel please put up some pictures ;)

Lane

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2011, 02:40:17 am »
im so sorry, i will as soon as i can, most of my time is now taken by the little fishies who are calling to me ;D
again, im sorry for the recent picture drought bu t will be ended soon
norl

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2011, 08:25:41 pm »
ok, sorry for the delay, here are pics of the edge profile, the levers, tips....... whatever you call them, and an example of the twist i have to remove.... yes that with the other end flat on its back :o
noel

Offline toomanyknots

Re: osage molly warbow (now with pictures)
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2011, 08:51:32 pm »
SWEET, I milked them pics right outta ya, lol. Lookin good.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2011, 09:51:21 pm »
Noel, your levers look the same thickness as your limbs?  Wouldn't you normally leave them thicker on a molly?  Sorry about that twist. :(

George
St Paul, TX

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2011, 10:44:17 pm »
yah, right now the levers are the same thickness, i have barely started to reduce them, and don't worry about the twist, wood with severe twist is better than no wood at all ;D, i have a full bow steaming set up that works great, while im at it, i think i might add some reflex, depends on what im up for
thanks
noel

Offline Young Bowyer

• What is this?
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2011, 09:41:57 pm »
What makes a warbow "molly?" sorry im a newb  ::) im going to order my first ELB from 3 rivers archery as soon as i get the cash  :D
"A man can be destroyed, but not defeated."
The old man from Ernest Hemingway's The Old Man And The Sea

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2011, 10:27:17 pm »
What makes a warbow "molly?" sorry im a newb  ::) im going to order my first ELB from 3 rivers archery as soon as i get the cash  :D
well.... a warbow can have many different meanings, some people like me say a very heavy bow(usually 80+)  some say a bow that can be or was used for war, others have the definition of warbow meaning a traditional mary rose replica style
a molly or the full name mollegabet is a bow with stiff tips or levers that are deeper but narrower saving on weight and adding speed, i think
if anyone else wants to add to these definitions, go ahead, and be sure to correct me if i wrong
noel
PS: young bowyer, i was a "newb" going back a few months, and to many i still am, but don't worry.people here are very willing to help usually in any way they can, good luck. Oh-ya, the elb you are getting, is it pre-made or is it a kit

Offline Young Bowyer

• What is this?
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2011, 10:32:57 pm »
The bow is premade red oak with hickory backing and horn nocks and thanks, im trying to learn everything i can haha  :)

Offline johnston

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2011, 01:08:24 am »
I like what I see Noel, keep 'em coming.

yo.bo. if you need help start a thread. Like the warbow kid said, people here will help and most know a bunch.

Lane

Offline CraigMBeckett

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2011, 01:22:14 am »

Have a look around on here and on Paleoplanet, the 'Mollegabet", (please excuse the lack of use of the umlaut etc) was erroneously referred to as a holmgaard in The Traditional Bowyer's Bible and is still referred to by that name by people who won't accept the error. Both names are areas of Denmark where artifacts were found. The Holmgaard finds were of an almost complete bow and a good part of another, these bows have pyramid type limbs, the Mollygabet artifact is the majority of one limb of a bow that has the outer section as (probably stiff) levers. 

See http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=17521.0 for some photos of the two sets of artefacts.

A "respected" archaeologist believes that the original Mollygabet was a very light weapon and was probably made for a child. It is the only one of its type found, although there are somewhat similar designs used by some of the Anderman islanders from the Indian Ocean. As the ancient Danes, (although not necessarily from the same time as the Mollegabett or the Holmgaards), were fond of depositing weapons of war into bogs, swamps, lakes and the like, supposedly as offerings to their gods in times of victory, and as no other finds of the Mollegabet type have been found the odds are that it was not a weapon of war and was indeed a child's weapon.

Craig.

Offline Young Bowyer

• What is this?
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2011, 01:39:58 am »
Thanks Craig and Fishfinder!  :D Im really liking this forum! Not many people in my area shoot traditional or make bows for that matter.

This really helps, thanks, YB

Offline CraigMBeckett

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2011, 01:51:58 am »

That time the hunting bow was the weapon in the war.

While probably correct this statement is only an assumption and should not be stated as fact, we do not have sufficient data to draw any such conclusion, we do have data that shows that some groups of people, admittedly from different areas of the globe, did use different bows for war. The fact none have been found is not absolute proof of their absence it is only an indicator.

"Whitout armour they doesn't need the heavy warbows as Nidrinr mentioned."

Again another assumption, heavy bows are not only used for war, what weight bow would you choose to use against an Auroch, standing 2m at the shoulders, weighing over a tonne, and with the disposition of a cut snake?  Ötzi's bow, even if it is accepted as being unfinished, was not exactly a light "hunting bow".
What weight bow was used to hunt with in Medieval Britain? again we don't know, we have books written fro the gentry advocating "light bows that can be held at half draw", now if you can pull a bow you can hold it at half draw relatively easily, so these books are nonsense and are for the gentry anyway. We do have anecdotal evidence in the form of both paintings, prose and arrow heads, that suggest the hunting bow was heavy, Look at some of the paintings contemporary to the times the bows appear to be heavy, Geoffry Chaucer wrote "The Canterbury Tales" sometime between 1387 and 1400, and in it he has a character called the Yeoman who was a "proper  forester"  that is a person responsible for looking after the forest, enforcing forest law and hunting or arranging hunts for his lord, according to the prose this "hunter" bore a mighty bow, not a light bow but a mighty bow. You also only have to look at the swallow tail broadhead which wasit is believe is only intended for hunting deer and you will see that it could not be used in a light bow.

Craig